S2 Update 14.12 Sub Issues

Userlevel 4

Hello,

With the recent 14.12 S2 Update there is a bug in the sub settings when using Trueplay, and I've pinpointed the problem.  I wanted to pass along this information to the company to ensure that the specifics of the issue are known.

It’s likely that most people may not notice this, or bother asking Sonos about it, but this is a real difference between 14.12 and the previous versions.

• My current setup has an Arc, Sub(Gen1), and 2 Play1's.  
    • Using a white noise generator to review these differences.  
    • I'm controlling the sub settings on my iPad Pro while recording on my iPhone 12 Pro Max.  
    • I've run Trueplay twice since the update, and get the same results both times.  
      • Both Trueplay runs were with my iPhone as my iPad Pro does not have support yet.
  • Once updated to 14.12, you are prompted to re-run Trueplay.  But Trueplay has a bug in this new update.
  • I tested the frequencies with Trueplay On and then Off without changing the volume on the App.  
    • The only setting modified is the "Sub Audio" setting that ranges from -15 to +15
  • These differences are absolutely unique to the 14.12 update
    • I did not take pics, but have done similar tests before and the sub settings always increase/decrease all of the frequencies below the crossover
    • In previous versions, 40hz was always the highest db of any frequency when bossting the sub volume.

Trueplay On with Bass and Treble set to 0:  

• Sub = 0: 
    • There is about a 4-5db reduction in the 30-60hz range and a boost in the 60-80hz range compared to Trueplay off
    •  

• Sub = +15: 
    • Here is where you see the issue.  Sub 50hz doesn't change much at all even boosting the sub setting to the max  
    • There is a huge boost in the 60-80hz range where it is now the dominate frequency range of the sub
    •  

Trueplay Off with Bass, and Treble set to 0:  

• Sub = 0
    • You can already see a difference in that the <50hz frequencies are higher and it's a pretty flat wave.

•  
  • Sub = +15
    • Notice that now the dominate frequency range is the 35-50hz.  
    • The 60-80hz is still boosted, but it does not ever overtake the lower frequencies
    •  

• Lastly, here is a grouped view showing these pictures side by side so you can really see the difference.
    • It also includes going -15 on the sub
    •  

• Could it be a High Pass Filter setting that is getting triggered when you run TruePlay?
  • If you do not like the way your system sounds after 14.12, turn off Trueplay.
    • It will not be as good as what you are used to as Trueplay will adjust more to your room and leave less peaks/valleys throughout the spectrum.
    • But it will still be more like what you are used to hearing.

I can provide more information if needed, but hopefully this helps pinpoint the issue for everyone.  

Thank you for your time,

Robert

84 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Has anyone tested out the 14.14 release to see if it fixes the Sub issue?  I just updated (by accident) and have not tried enabling Trueplay yet to see if the Bass issue comes back.  Thanks for any updates as I am not home to test.

14.14 was for other things.. not the issues of 14.12. They’re still working on it. 

Badge

Why doesn’t Sonos roll back the bug-plagued update to the last version prior to the TruePlay sub/Arc bug? Is there a logical reason for not doing so? Anything is better than this sound. It’s been months. Did they fire the one guy who knew how their TruePlay code works? 

It’s examples like this that make me roll my eyes when people compare Sonos to Apple. This is just poor form. Expected better.

Probably due to all the other things that were included in the various software releases since then. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If there is no fix this Thursday then there will be a lot of crazy mad people , even Peter pee said he will make a new video about it if they won't fix by then.

I dont think they understand how big of a mess they made with that horrible 14.12 ... Audio company that don't care about its audio reproduction... should revert everything back to 14.10 asap but they never did , obviously midget mini sub to be blamed by that ..  

There is still a pretty big difference when you disable trueplay vs keeping it enabled after the 14.18 update.  I don’t think the update did anything to address the 14.12 bass issue.  

I don’t understand this. Depending on speaker placement, TruePlay should make a potential big difference in the sound profile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued discussion. We’re really happy to be able to tell you that today we’ll release an update that will include fixes to the issues that resulted from the 14.12 software update with Enhanced Clarity for Arc.In the 14.12 release, we made a change to Arc’s sound profile to improve dialogue clarity and the overall sound experience.  Since that update, some users whose configuration included a Sub have experienced two issues:

1. Users of Arc would find the same volume settings resulted in lower output volume. Whilst the maximum volume and bass capabilities were unchanged, volume settings in the lower regions resulted in a quieter sound than before the update
  2. Users of Arc, Beam and Ray would find their Sub output is lower than desired after performing a new Trueplay tuning.

(Home theatre configurations without a Sub were unaffected, including standalone soundbars and those bonded with surrounds only)

With the 14.18 software update, both of these issues have been addressed, and the Enhanced Clarity for Arc adjustments are retained. There was a clear preference within our community for the previous volume settings, and these have been restored. This will be apparent immediately after updating to 14.18. The Trueplay issue has been fixed. Customers who experienced a lower Sub level after performing Trueplay after updating to 14.12 will need to update their systems and then perform a new Trueplay tuning in order to address these improvements in their system. Customers will hear a more powerful low end response, meaning any Sub level adjustments made after 14.12 should no longer be required.

Can someone confirm that after they retuned with trueplay the issue is resolved?  I have an iPhone 14ProMax and its not supported for trueplay yet.  Nice job Sonos, now I get to sit and wait for another release!  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Can someone confirm that after they retuned with trueplay the issue is resolved?  I have an iPhone 14ProMax and its not supported for trueplay yet.  Nice job Sonos, now I get to sit and wait for another release!  

Would seem to be the case, my sub is doing a lot more. Borrow a friend's iPhone for two mins, its all you need.