Answered

Problems with connecting turntable via receiver, Sonos Connect and Beam

• 30 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help me out. 

I have an existing Beam set up to my tv in a room called “Living Room”. Recently picked up a used Connect (Gen1) and have it hooked up to an old Yamaha receiver (CR-620, if you are interested). The receiver in turn is connected to a Yamaha turntable (YP-511). 

I have set up the Connect to a room called “Record Player”. From the receiver I have analog cables running from tape rec out to the Connect analog in. When I plug the cables into the rec out, I hear crackling from the Beam so I know it’s picking something up, but I cannot get it to pick up sound when the input is switched to “Phono” on my receiver! 

I just cannot work out what (probably obvious) thing I’m doing wrong. 

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Graeme

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 2 February 2021, 21:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Graemehenderson

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. We appreciate all your effort in trying to resolve the issue. To help you out with this, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you. 

Hello @Rowena B. - submitted diagnostics now, reference is 188998623.

thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

HI @Graemehenderson

Thanks for your response with your diagnostic report. Upon checking,  there's interference in your wireless network that is caused by wireless congestion. Wireless interference can occur when two or more wireless devices compete for the same WiFi space. If this overlap is causing performance issues, it can be quickly resolved by finding the source of the interference. You can also find instructions on how to reduce wireless interference in our short video. This could be the reason why you're experiencing audio issues with your Sonos.

May I ask, are you trying to broadcast the audio from your Sonos Connect to your Sonos Beam while playing on the Yamaha turntable?

Your Yamaha turntable will send the audio to your Sonos Connect, and to send the audio to your Beam to play the same music, you need to instruct it to do so.

• Open the Sonos app and select System (the middle button at the bottom of the screen)
  • Select the Living Room
  • Change to the Browse tab (at the bottom, left of the System button you pressed earlier)
  • Choose Record Player Line-In

Let us know how you get on with the advice above and keep us posted. if you run into any issue, please submit another diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number for us to check.