Answered

Problem with TV and Sonos Beam (Gen 2)

• 20 January 2022
  • 9 replies

I bought one of these recently to augment my Panasonic TV. Problem is, the TV has only one HDMI connector (which is occupied by a set top box). The only other possible connections are two SCART sockets and a VGA computer connection socket. So, is all lost, and I have bought a very expensive paperwight?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 20 January 2022, 15:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I bought one of these recently to augment my Panasonic TV. Problem is, the TV has only one HDMI connector (which is occupied by a set top box). The only other possible connections are two SCART sockets and a VGA computer connection socket. So, is all lost, and I have bought a very expensive paperwight?

SCART?  Time for a non-prehistoric TV, I think.

Userlevel 7

@Anton D. The Beam requires a TV equipped with either HDMI ARC or an optical port. Your TV seems to have neither. You either need a new TV or you need to find a different solution that will work with your TV. Your best option is to upgrade your TV because your current one will severely limit your options.

Thank you - I was afraid you were going to say that!

Userlevel 7

Thank you - I was afraid you were going to say that!

If you decide to get a new TV, try to find one with HDMI eARC so you can take full advantage of the Beam’s audio capabilities.

Thanks for all the responses. However, surely it wouldn’t have been too hard for Sonos to supply the thing with some alternatives, such as RCA connectors, which are still the norm for most high-end hi-fi equipment (certainly much higher than Sonos). To me, it sounds as if Sonos is doing a Microsoft, which, with Windows 11, is seeking to force people to dump perfectly good devices that are no longer compatible, for no good reason. As if there wasn’t already enough waste in the world!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

HDMI-ARC has been present on TV's at least since 2010. I can see that Sonos went this way with devices that where introduced from 2018…… Especially since Sonos soundbasrt aer geared towards surround, that cannot be transported through RCA connectors that no TV's I can remember have (as an out, older TV's might have them as an in).

Can you tell us what Panasonic you own (model number)? Maybe you have missed a connection?

Hello, It’s a Panasonic TX-L19X10E (yes, a wee one - it has to fit into a cabinet, which naturally limits our choice). It has one HDMI port, two SCART ports, one VGA connector and number of RCA connectors, and that’s it, so far as I can see. The HDMI is connected to the set-top box. There exist various devices for converting SCART or VGA to HDMI, but of course these are all inputs, rather than outputs. Nevertheless, I tried them all with no great confidence, and my lack of confidence was duly rewarded. 

P.S. Our RCAs are definitely “out”, as the TV can be played through the hi-fi system inhabiting the same cabinet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

According to the manual for your TV I found at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/648762/Panasonic-Viera-Tx-L19e3b.html?page=69 it should have an optical out…..

Could you check?

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to do that! Unfortunately it hasn’t, as you can see:

Note that your manual is for a TX-L19E3B, not a TX-L19X10E, hence the difference.