Skip to main content
Answered

Playstation 5 - surround sound using Sonos Ray and 2 One SL

• 27 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi

I currently own and use a Sonos Ray soundbar with my Playstation 5. My Playstation 5 is connected with HDMI to my tv and the Sonos Ray is connected with an optical audio cable to my tv. 

I’m planning on using a surround setup and add two Sonos One SL’s to the Ray. Will my PS5 output surround sound? Will my TV output surround sound? If I listen to music, will it put out stereo sound? 

Any issues with a setup like this? 

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If the PS5 is sending Dolby Digital, and not Atmos or DTS, the TV should be able to pass that codec directly through to your Ray. Since you didn’t say what TV….most will, there are a few ‘older’ TVs that have a challenge in passing surround sound. TCLs, Philips both spring to mind, but there are other manufacturers. Mostly, I think this is due to the fact that surround sound was new and almost no one was using it at the time, the manufacturers were checking a box for marketing, not really comprehending how it would be used at a future date. 

All of your other questions, yes ;)

Oh, no particular issues with that setup, barring knowing what kind of TV it is, and confirming that it can pass through a Dolby Digital signal. 

If the PS5 is sending Dolby Digital, and not Atmos or DTS, the TV should be able to pass that codec directly through to your Ray. Since you didn’t say what TV….most will, there are a few ‘older’ TVs that have a challenge in passing surround sound. TCLs, Philips both spring to mind, but there are other manufacturers. Mostly, I think this is due to the fact that surround sound was new and almost no one was using it at the time, the manufacturers were checking a box for marketing, not really comprehending how it would be used at a future date. 

The TV I have is a Nikkei NU5018S. A cheap TV. It says it supports surround sound, however. 
If a medium isn’t surround, will the One SL speakers output a stereo sound?

The TV I have is a Nikkei NU5018S. A cheap TV. It says it supports surround sound, however. 
If a medium isn’t surround, will the One SL speakers output a stereo sound?

Is there an output delay compared to the Ray?

No, on the TV input, the surround speakers only put out surround channels, and won’t switch to just stereo output.

I’m not sure I understand your second question. Delays only occur in rooms that are ‘grouped’ with a Sonos home theater room. And that is only when playing an input from the TV. When you’re streaming music to the Sonos system, all rooms will be in sync.