Answered

Playbase optical to hdmi

• 17 April 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi all and apologies if this has been raised previously.

I have recently purchased a fabulous LG C1 tv and the picture is amazing.

I have also had some work done mounting it on the wall and the electrician has provided two hidden hdmi leads in the wall. Devastatingly there isn't an optical cable buried in the wall which now would leave me with it visibly attached to my playbase. 
my question is, Is there a connector that will convert optical to hdmi then I can use existing cables?

I can see the sonos converter cable won't work with the playbase.

I also have a sky q box but Netflix and Amazon prime are far superior on the tv so ideally would want the sound coming directly from the tv than just the sky q box.

hopes this makes sense and any thoughts appreciated

Wayne

icon

Best answer by controlav 17 April 2022, 15:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You need the opposite: you need to convert the HDMI-ARC signal (output of TV) to optical (input to Playbar). Maybe someone else knows of such a thing. Good luck.

Yeah, that would work (if there is one?) cheers

I think you’d be better off with a more standard HDMI switch box that separates the optical signal before it reaches the TV, rather than after. These are discussed in dozens of threads in the Home Theater area of this forum. 

As the tv is producing the picture and ultimately the sound, the hdmi arc signal coming out surely needs to be converted to optical for the playbase to work? Or have I got that wrong?

cheers for the replies by the way.

Ultimately, yes, but it doesn’t need to be so, using a ‘standard’ HDMI switch with an optical out, you can grab the audio before it hits the TV. No real need for the ARC in that case, as many folks who have older TVs have found out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ultimately, yes, but it doesn’t need to be so, using a ‘standard’ HDMI switch with an optical out, you can grab the audio before it hits the TV. No real need for the ARC in that case, as many folks who have older TVs have found out. 

No, the OP wants the apps on the TV to generate the audio, so this otherwise fine plan will not work.

Apologies,  you’re absolutely correct, I skimmed over that in the original post. 

I am not familiar with any devices that convert an ARC signal to an optical one. Which isn’t to say such a device doesn’t exist….

Thanks for the input guys