Skip to main content

Hello all,

We are currently getting a house extension and we are creating a media wall (ceiling not yet built).

I’m wanting to get a good sound setup for the television and thought that Sonos’ ceiling speakers and amp would be a good addition to the system.

Question is will this work with my current set up which is:

• A Sonos playbar which we bought 8 years ago.
  • Gen-3 subwoofer

Went into a tv/speaker shop near where I live and they told me I would need an Arc soundbar, Sonos Amp and two speakers along with cabling from speakers back to Amp. I’m not sure if they are upselling me or whether the playbar won’t work as it’s too old.

Would be grateful if anyone could advise, had a search through previous topics but couldn’t find the answer!

Thanks
Andy

You would need an Amp, the in-ceiling speakers, and speaker cables run from the Amp to the in-ceiling speakers.  You do not need to replace the Playbar if you are using the Amp for surrounds. The Amp can be placed anywhere the cabling is convenient, as long as it is in the same room.  It does not have to be placed near the Playbar. 

Hi Jgatie,

Thanks for the reply. 

Again silly question potentially but I guess the playbar will work as the “front” speakers and the two in the ceiling connected to the amp as the rear speakers?

How does the amp connect to the playbar? From reading up it can connect wirelessly as long as it’s the new amp?

The amp will be in a cupboard under the TV connected to power with the speaker wires run up behind the wall, into the ceiling void and to the speakers. TV obviously on the wall with playbar mounted underneath connected to the TV through the optical cable.

Take it this should work?

Thanks again

Andy

Yes, the Amp speakers will be rear surrounds.  The Amp will connect wirelessly over a direct one way private connection between the Playbar and the Amp.  This should work fine in your proposed setup, as long as the cabinet isn't stone or metal.