PLAY 1 original with BEAM GEN 2

Badge

OK, I am about to pull my hair out and bin this SONOS. . but before I do this, can someone please help me. 

I have 4 Play 1 Originals. ( admittedly dated now but they are only speakers) and have just bought a SONOS beam two as the Play 5 does not have an optical cable, ugh! and there is an issue. 

Anyways, I digress, can anyone please help me set up the SONOS BEAM GEN 2 with my PLAY 1 gen 1 please, it says there is an option for surround sound but the APP 2 cannot see them speakers.. 

This system is becoming way over complicated to be honest, was great when they started but now, they are getting on the band wagon.. and stuff not compatible. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

I’m pretty sure you just need to update those PLAY:1s to S2, then they’ll bond or group with the S2 Beam just fine. 

Badge

OK, I will follow that link, but I am like a 100 years old and will get back to you, if I cannot update to S2. have tried so many times resetting the whole thing.. I’ve had to come on here, and you know what old men are like about reading instructions.. ;(

Badge

OK, just saw this on the website.. 

A Sonos home theater speaker can use two Sonos speakers of the same model as surrounds. For example, two Sonos Ones can be used for surround sound but One and Play:1 cannot. 

I’ve no idea if Play 1 is different than SONOS 1, gen 1. 

A Sonos home theater speaker can use two Sonos speakers of the same model as surrounds. For example, two Sonos Ones can be used for surround sound but One and Play:1 cannot. 

Play:1 has hard buttons on the top, the One does not. 

Badge

I have the left speaker with hard buttons..

Yes, a Play:1 and Sonos One are different speakers.  The Sonos app will identify which speakers you have.

Badge

The app does not even see them..the S2 app..

I've reset every speaker..tried to set up whole set up..

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You need to update them to S2 one way or another.

Either through the S1 app or do a factory reset (try one only first!) and then find new speaker in the S2 app.

Both the PLAY:1 ( there is no gen on that) and the Sonos One (again, no generations so far, just different models like the One and the One SL) will operate nicely under S2.

Both sets of surround speakers I have for my Sonos Arcs are PLAY:1s running S2. 

Badge

humm, then there is something wrong with mine as they do not work on the S2, after so so many attempts. it’s getting to the stage where I have had to come here.

Power down the BEAM, close the S2 controller, and start the S1 controller. Can you then operate the PLAY:1’s?

Can you operate BEAM with the S2 controller?

All PLAY:1s can run S2, they have enough RAM to do so. There havebeen reported (rarely) instances where the update procedure gets ‘confused’ if both sets of operating systems are running. Try powering down all your S2 devices until the PLAY:1s are updated, then you can add them to the existing S2 system (your Beam) as necessary.

Or, you could just call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge

Excellent, thank you so much to everyone on here, you’ve restored some faith in Sonos, and I’ll power down everything and start again today.