Answered

Not able to connect with Apple TV 4K HDR

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have Sonos arc, sub gen 3 and 2 sonos ones 5.1 speaker setup.

2016 Samsung tv 65” Class KS9500 9-Series Curved 4K SUHD TV (2016 Model)

(This TV doesn't have Arc in the sound settings, but has HDMI ARC input)

Apple TV 4K HDR connecting using Belkin Ultra HD High Speed HDMI 2.1 Cable

When using Apple TV 4K (previous version)

1. I was able to ask Alexa from the Sonos arc to turn on n off the TV.
  2. Arc was integrated with the Samsung tv for audio, even though in the audio settings (both samsung tv and Apple TV 4K) I selected TV speakers the audio used to come from Sonos arc

Now after setting up with Apple TV 4K HDR

1. I don't think it has anything to do with Apple TV 4K HDR but Alex won't turn on or off the tv anymore
  2. definitely the sound is no longer integrated with sonos arc when the settings are set to TV speakers. I choose Sonos arc from Apple TV 4K HDR connecting via bluetooth.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 June 2021, 18:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Will try doing that

These happened gradually

First the audio thing

after few days unable to turn off tv using Alexa from arc

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Regarding the TV turning off via Alexa, I had a similar issue that started a while back.

I used to be able to say “Alexa, turn off the TV” but this stopped working with my 2019 Samsung.

I am not sure if it was an Alexa or a Samsung update that changed it.

But I now have to say “Alexa, Turn off the Living Room TV”

“Living Room” is the room that the TV is in as far as Alexa groups are concerned.

So it might be worth looking at the groups in Alexa App and seeing if you can specify the Alexa group when asking to turn off the TV via a voice command

Userlevel 1
Badge

@GuitarSuperstar & @BMF I am able to control the TV on/off using Arc’s Alexa after unplugging them both for few mins.

However the sound I still seem to have to select Sonos Arc from the Apple TV 4K HDR to connect wirelessly. 

I have the Apple TV 4K HDR connected to my 2016 Samsung TV, then via Sonos ARC HDMI fro Samsung TV (HDMI Arc port).

What do you guys have in your settings or how did you configure?

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I don’t have the latest gen 2 4K Apple TV, but do have the previous gen 4K.

One thing that I have had to do on the AppleTV 4K in the past, on a 2016 4K Panasonic is to force the audio to Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of automatic in the settings of the AppleTV.

On the AppleTV 4K

Settings>Video and Audio>Audio Format>Change Format>Off

Change to “Dolby Digital 5.1”

I don’t need to do this on my 2019 Samsung, but the 2016 Panasonic needed it to be forced to DD5.1

that is the only thing I have had to change on AppleTV 4K to get It to work with a Sonos Soundbar

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BMF I don't have that option on my 2016 samsung tv :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@DJcraze no, no ….. the option is on the AppleTV 

Sorry, reworded to highlight the settings change is on the AppleTV and not on the TV

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BMF thank you! should the audio output be Sonos arc?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

No, just try setting the format to be Dolby Digital 5.1

not sure I have ever seen an option for Arc on the Apple TV

wait, are you trying to use AirPlay from the AppleTV to the Arc?

Userlevel 7

The Change Format setting on the Apple TV should actually be set to ON so you can change the Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1.

And keep Audio Output set to TV Speakers.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BMF ok will just change the format to Dolby Digital 5.1

I don't want to Airplay to Sonos Arc, without choosing/selecting what speakers the audio needs to come i.e. even though it says TV speakers I wanted the audio to come from Sonos Arc.

Thats how it used to be with the previous Apple TV 4K.

@GuitarSuperstar sure will do.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@DJcraze great, just wanted to make sure you were not trying AirPlay 

Userlevel 1
Badge

if I changed the audio format on Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1 and the audio output to TV speakers, will the audio automatically come from the Sonos Arc.

Should I be able to control the audio from Apple TV remote?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It should do, yes.

all you are doing is sending the sound to the TV in 5.1 Dolby without AppleTV trying to decide what is best and to use the tv for sound.

the tv in turn should ignore the tv speakers part and use the Arc for sound 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BMF & @GuitarSuperstar Thank you! with the above settings change everything is working great now! 

Back to like it used to work before :)