Answered

My wireless network cannot support surrounds

• 31 January 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi Folks

After posting last week about the issue I have with my wireless network not supporting surrounds I tried as suggested resting my router and connecting the beam to the router with an Ethernet cable an it hasn’t worked and the router is too far away for the Beam to be permanently wired. I have also restored factory settings and reconnected the 3 speakers and the message still appears. Does anyone have any other suggestion or am I being forced to buy the Sonos Boost which I assume would fix the issue ?

Thanks in advance for your help

icon

Best answer by ratty 31 January 2021, 19:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I don’t believe purchasing a Sonos BOOST would resolve your issue. 

There’s not enough information shown above to be certain, but at least one issue is evident. The TV is only providing a stereo signal to the Beam. Not being familiar with the current version’s error status, I’m wondering if that is why that message is being shown. 

It would be helpful to see the data for at least one of the surrounds, or the Sub, but from what I can see at the bottom of your screenshot, it does look like the One is properly set up. 

At the very least, I’d start by looking at whatever device is feeding your TV set a signal. You want the TV set to be receiving, and then passing on a Dolby Digital signal. Right now, it is showing Stereo PCM 2.0, which will not have any surround data encoded. And possibly create that error message you’ve noted.

Sonos has, in the past, shown confusing or not totally correct error messages at certain points, I’m wondering if that’s the case here, and the message might go away when the Beam is receiving a correct Dolby Digital signal.

It also might be helpful to the community attempting to assist to have more knowledge about your setup. What TV, how your Beam is connected to the TV, whether your Sonos system is connected to your LAN, what type of router you have, etc.

And it would never hurt to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

That message has a habit of appearing if the router has objected to issuing IP addresses for the satellites (Sub, surrounds) via the wireless HT master (Beam) when a system’s in WiFi mode. 

Other than changing the router the obvious solution is to wire a Sonos device and run the system in SonosNet/wired mode.

Then potentially a BOOST would indeed help solve the issue. Or simply wiring the Beam to your router. Do not connect the surrounds or the Sub to the router, though.

Thanks for the help, it does appear to have issues IP addresses and sadly the beam is located to far from the router to wire it in permanently. I have a spare router which il give ago too. Thanks for your help