Answered

my sonos arc vs beam gen2 conundrum

• 17 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I am enjoying my new setup with beam gen 2 , sub mini and 2 era 100’s as rears. It was a game changer for me after my 2.1 sony ht-mt500! 

my living room isnt huge. It’s 4.37m x 3.48m. My tv is 55” but next year i am considering to get a lg 65” c4 (when the price drops significantly). I am happy with my setup but i kinda wonder if sonos arc would do a better job with a wider soundstage and more drivers? Is it worth it? It’s really hard to know unless i have both of them. Also i am quite aware a new arc2 or a better/higher version soundbar is on the horizon. I am not sure what to do. Anyone had a similar experience like me and had both or experienced both ?

best

icon

Best answer by jgatie 17 April 2024, 20:33

View original

7 replies

I have an Arc in the living room and a Beam Gen 2 in the bedroom, both with a Sub and two Ones for surrounds.  The Arc is far superior to the Beam, in both front channel separation and Atmos effects.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos offer lengthy home trial periods. Buy and try; return if you’re not happy. 

And to be clear, an Arc 2 coming out soon is a rumor, and not a very strong one comparitively speaking.  As a reference, headphones have been rumored for a couple years now, and although they seem likely to be coming soon, Sonos has not said anything officially yet.  I would not recommend holding back for an Arc 2 at this point.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@jgatie thanks for your reply. Do you really feel an atmos effect without upfiring rear speakers ? Just curious.and dialogue clarit, beam and arc same or would you say arc is better ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@jgatie thanks for your reply. Do you really feel an atmos effect without upfiring rear speakers ? Just curious.and dialogue clarit, beam and arc same or would you say arc is better ?

Don’t lose sight of the fact the height channel on a Beam is a “phantom” channel: it has no up-firing speakers. 

In my room, I sit around 11-13’ from the Arc, with 9 ‘ flat ceilings, and the Atmos effect from the Arc is pronounced when it is mastered properly, even without the Era 300’s in the rear.  The same distance and ceiling height for the Beam is not nearly as good.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for your reply👍