Answered

Modifying my Sonos system for new use

• 29 February 2024
  • 3 replies

I am moving house and my new home will have a converted outbuilding (14 ft long, 8 ft wide, 9 ft high) intended mostly as a music room as I’m a keen music lover. There will be a TV in the room as well (when I want to spare the rest of the family from my motorcycle and F1 racing viewing) 

Some of my current sonos system will probably be used in the living room of my new home for TV viewing, namely the beam (gen 1), Subwoofer (gen 2). The two Sonus SL speakers might be free for use in the music room. 

This means the vinyl listening components - a turntable and a Sonus Connect (turntable connects to the line inputs) will be available for the new room. 

For the new music room, at this time I am thinking about buying two Sonus 5 speakers, and perhaps a subwoofer at a later stage if I still need extra low end. This would be decided after living with the fives for a while. Buying the 5 will mean that I probably don’t need the Connect any more as I can use the line input of the speaker. So the Connect might get traded in. 

So If I go for the fives my understanding is that a TV isn’t really compatible with them. Could I use the connect to play the TV through the system (using line out from the TV)  or will I have sync issues? 

If I wished to add home theatre capability (atmos) at a later stage would there be a way of using the fives or would I have to go the route of the fives being used exclusively for music playback and perhaps a Sonus Arc/ Gen 2 Beam and a couple of rear speakers would then be exclusively for home theater use. 

Sorry for all the questions but I really would appreciate your help. 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 29 February 2024, 14:28

View original

3 replies

So If I go for the fives my understanding is that a TV isn’t really compatible with them. Could I use the connect to play the TV through the system (using line out from the TV)  or will I have sync issues? 

No, the Connect and Five, and any Speaker with aux input will have the same sync issue.  You would need a Ray, Beam, Arc, or Amp, as these have HDMI-ARC or optical connections design for your TV.  None of these would allow you to have your Fives setup as front stereo speakers for TV audio though.

If I wished to add home theatre capability (atmos) at a later stage would there be a way of using the fives or would I have to go the route of the fives being used exclusively for music playback and perhaps a Sonus Arc/ Gen 2 Beam and a couple of rear speakers would then be exclusively for home theater use. 

Sorry for all the questions but I really would appreciate your help. 

The Fives can be used as rear speakers in a home theatre setup, but not front speakers.  Considering this room is primarily for music, I would either go with creating a Sonos room for music (Fives) and a soundbar for TV, or get a Sonos amp with passive speakers of your choosing. That amp is not atmos capable though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d keep the Connect and use it as the input to the Fives, much nicer to not have to run an audio signal across the room to the Five.

Even if you go for an Amp and your own speakers it would likely be a cleaner setup feeding audio to the Connect so you could put the Amp in the optimum position for powering the speakers.

It would probably be a cleaner solution to transmit audio to the Connect so you could place the Amp in the best possible position for powering the speakers, even if you decide to use an amplifier and your own speakers.