Answered

LG TV + Beam 2 + Firestick 4K settings

• 20 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi all, so I just want to know what settings to use on both my firestick and on my LG TV, in order to get the best sound possible with my Beam 2.

Basically, I only have the beam, no other sonos speakers so don't have surround sound. I have read loads about the best settings to use, but can't seem to really find a solid answer.

My tv is an LG 50UP75006LF 4K tv. My firestick is a 4K firestick plugged into an hdmi port on the TV. I have a beam gen 2 soundbar plugged into the eArc HDMI on the TV.

I will list the current options I have on both the TV and Firestick, and I really need to know what to set them to for the best sound experience. Taking into account the only sound will be coming from the soundbar, again I have no other speakers / surround sound. 

The sound options on my tv are:

- DTV audio setting: MPEG, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, HE-AAC, Auto

- Input Audio Format: Bitstream, PCM

- Digital Sound Output: PCM, Auto, Pass Through

The settings on my firestick for audio are:

- Surround Sound: Best Available, PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital

Please if anyone could help and tell me what to pick for each of the above, it would be MUCH appreciated. I feel like I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information and really just want to set it and forget it. Thanks in advance! 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 November 2023, 21:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The settings I would choose to use are…
DTV audio setting: Auto

Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

Surround Sound: Best Available

The settings I would choose to use are…
DTV audio setting: Auto

Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Output: Pass Through

Surround Sound: Best Available

Hi Ken, many thanks for your answer! I think I accidentally set this as the best answer and not sure how to remove that. But just looking at my settings and they match what you suggested. Will having the surround sound set to best available have any effect if I don't have any surround speakers and just the Beam soundbar? 

Yes, because without the rear surround speakers, the rear channel audio is merged into the front/side facing speakers - it’s absolutely fine with the settings you have.

If you play a DD+ Atmos movie from the Fire TV 4K, such as Jack Ryan season 4 from Amazon Prime Movies - you will see all channels play to your Beam 2 and the Atmos badge on the ‘Now Playing’ screen will show in the Sonos App - that should confirm to you that all is working as it should be.

Hope that assists.

Yes, because without the rear surround speakers, the rear channel audio is merged into the front/side facing speakers - it’s absolutely fine with the settings you have.

If you play a DD+ Atmos movie from the Fire TV 4K, such as Jack Ryan season 4 from Amazon Prime Movies - you will see all channels play to your Beam 2 and the Atmos badge on the ‘Now Playing’ screen will show in the Sonos App - that should confirm to you that all is working as it should be.

Hope that assists.

Great thanks Ken! As you seem to be hot on this stuff, do you know anything about what settings to choose on a PS5 with the beam 2?

This is from another thread here (I don’t have a PS5 to confirm and not sure if things may have altered since it was posted) …

PS5 settings:

Output Device: HDMI Device (AV Amplifier)

HDMI Device Type: AV Amplifier

Number of Channels: 5.1ch

Audio Format (Priority): Linear PCM for gaming or when watching a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc. When streaming content from the PS5 or watching a Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-ray disc, change this setting to Dolby.

When watching Blu-ray discs, there is another audio setting that must be adjusted when you start the disc. Tap the Options button on the controller, select the “…” and change the Audio Format setting to Bitstream for Dolby-encoded discs. Change this setting to Linear PCM for DTS-encoded discs.

Note: The PS5 doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio from any of the streaming apps or when gaming. It is only supported when playing a Dolby Atmos Blu-ray disc. And your TV must be equipped with HDMI eARC to play Dolby Atmos audio from Blu-rays.