Answered

LG Magic Remote Not Controlling Ray Volume

I have an LG tv and sonos Ray.  The remote was configured to that it recognized by the sonos system, however the volume/mute is not working anymore.  When I try to adjust the volume the it is registering on the tv but not actually doing anything.  Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 May 2023, 01:15

View original

15 replies

Sounds like there may have been some sort of change introduced by a software update to the TV, I would go back and reset up the remote up in the Sonos controller’s options for that ‘room’. 

I have the same problem. The volume/mute is not working any more. I think after the last update from LG WebOs. Everything worked fine, but my sonos arc is not responding. I did everything, but nothing helped. Any ideas?

I’d still suspect something changed in the TV and remote, that is where I would be focusing my attention. I’d also be tempted to contact the CS for LG to see what they have to say. 

I also notice when I disconnect and connect the remote again with the sonos app, I can use the vulome/mute again, but not the other (magic) buttons of the remote. 

I used the instructions at this link from Sonos support to change the settings of my LG TV. Now the remote controls the Ray:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/unable-to-adjust-the-volume-using-the-lg-magic-remote?language=en_US&utm_source-hs-care&utm_campaign-en_US-hs-care-hs%2Fhometheater-remoterequirements&utm_medium-hs%2Fhometheater-remoterequirements

I used the instructions at this link from Sonos support to change the settings of my LG TV but it don’t work. 

I used the instructions at this link from Sonos support to change the settings of my LG TV but it don’t work. 

Under "universal control" settings IIRC, you just simply add Sonos Bluetooth/Sound Bar to the optical port - you have to search for the manufacturer to add it to the TV.

Magic Rremote is working fine here with the Sonos Ray. See screenshot from my LG TV (a different model, perhaps?), but I understand all their models work in a ‘similar’ way.

I have exactly the same on my tv but anyway I can not use the magic remote on my ray

I have exactly the same on my tv but anyway I can not use the magic remote on my ray

I have several LG TV’s around the Home and the Magic Remote works whether I connect a Sonos soundbar to it via the TV’s optical Port or the HDMI-ARC/eARC Port - have you gone through the TV ‘remote’ setup in the Sonos App once you have setup the Soundbar in the TV’s Universal Settings? See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-home-theater-with-your-tv-remote

I’ve not come across an issue in the community here before where the LG magic remote hasn’t worked as a universal remote with all Sonos Soundbars, but if your issue persists, then perhaps give LG support a call after the Holiday.

Badge

Any update on the solution to this problem?

Any update on the solution to this problem?

Yes, the LG device connector screenshots attached explain the steps required.

Badge

Yes, those steps were inputed correctly and the TV recognizes the optical output of the device but still the LG magic remote does not control the volume. When pressing the volume button(s) it comes up on the screen but the volume does not change at all. The SONOS app does not recognize the remote either.

It works here for my LG TV - Maybe ensure Simplink/HDMI-CEC is switched off on the TV and see if that makes a difference.

If not, maybe speak with LG and Sonos customer support and see what they say.

The LG ‘magic’ remote can adjust the volume here for the Ray and it’s button presses are recognised when going through the ‘TV remote’ setup in the App.

Badge

Yup when switching that setting it still does not fix the issue. I will reach out to Sonos customer support as recommended.  Thanks.

Had the same issue with my arc out of nowhere. Went back through the device selection process, forgetting previous settings/connections, and then chose Sonos again at the end. Volume is working again with magic remote.