Answered

Lack of Trueplay on iPhone 15 Pro Max

• 25 November 2023
  • 22 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Why is it that all of the iPhone 15 models EXCEPT the iPhone 15 Pro Max allow Trueplay? Given that they IPhone 15 Pro Max has a better microphone then the IPhone SE 2020, I want to redo Trueplay. But I cannot because Sonos decided not to allow it.

When is the iPhone 15 Pro Max going to be supported? Support for the other  iPhone 15s came quick. This is disgusting service and I’m highly disappointed in Sonos.

icon

Best answer by JSWolf42 1 December 2023, 12:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Sonos ‘clearly’ haven’t finished testing that device yet and it’s stated here as ‘coming soon’ …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/trueplay-compatible-devices-and-sonos-products

They have to test the mobile with every combination of Sonos devices and calibrate things. They will not announce a specific date as it depends on how that testing goes. You’ll just have to wait a little more patiently.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sonos ‘clearly’ haven’t finished testing that device yet and it’s stated here as ‘coming soon’ …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/trueplay-compatible-devices-and-sonos-products

They have to test the mobile with every combination of Sonos devices and calibrate things. They will not announce a specific date as it depends on how that testing goes. You’ll just have to wait a little more patiently.

Why is it the rest of the iPhone 15 line could be tested and software written for it so fast and yet the iPhone 15 Pro Max was left out? What’s different about it to the rest of the line where software is different for the microphone? It would have been better to get all the iPhone 15s then leave any of them out.

Why is it the rest of the iPhone 15 line could be tested and software written for it so fast and yet the iPhone 15 Pro Max was left out? What’s different about it to the rest of the line where software is different for the microphone? It would have been better to get all the iPhone 15s then leave any of them out.

I can only guess the others were perhaps calibrated first as they are perhaps cheaper and more popular, so best to do them for the majority of users and that this model is last and perhaps will involve fewer customers. It would make sense to try to please the majority. Or maybe this model is having some difficulty, just like was seen with the iPad Pro 12.9” devices, post 3rd generation, which despite costing more, were eventually rejected as being suitable.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I can only guess the others were perhaps calibrated first as they are perhaps cheaper and more popular, so best to do them for the majority of users and that this model is last and perhaps will involve fewer customers. It would make sense to try to please the majority. Or maybe this model is having some difficulty, just like was seen with the iPad Pro 12.9” devices, post 3rd generation, which despite costing more, were eventually rejected as being suitable.

I hope the iPhone 15 Pro Max is not considered unsuitable. That would not be good for Sonos to be unable to program an iPhone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Someday Sonos will get tired of this and give us a universal USB mike to use for Trueplay.

And then deal with the multitude of OS systems that handle a USB input….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

And then deal with the multitude of OS systems that handle a USB input….

Now that would really be great, but I’d expect them to limit it to Android and iOS tablets and phones.

Literally bought the 15 Pro Max to run true play. I had to buy an iPhone SE as well to hold me over.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m still waiting. What’s the holdup with the iPhone 15 Pro Max?

Very disappointing with spending all that for 2 new Era 300s and I can’t even adjust tuning or balance.  I wish they would give us a beta mode for the 15 Pro Max.  But come on, give us an eta

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There been some delays in delivering iPhone 15 Pro Max’s, I believe. Maybe Sonos hasn’t been able to test the device because of that. In the meantime you could maybe borrow an iPhone to use Trueplay with?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For whatever reason, the iPhone 15 Pro Max now does Trueplay. No new Sono app or firmware.

I can second this! It didn’t work for me the first time though, had to re-do it because it said it couldn’t find the device. Odd. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I can second this! It didn’t work for me the first time though, had to re-do it because it said it couldn’t find the device. Odd. 

I would like to know what happened. We needed an update for the other iPhone 15s and now it’s working without an update.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did Apple update anything? Maybe quietly without any notice?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Did Apple update anything? Maybe quietly without any notice?

This morning I updated my iPhone to iOS 7.1.2. I have no idea if that allowed Trueplay to work or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m digging out my Apple tablet and trying an update later just in case.

Thanks.

Note that for TruePlay, the authorization appears to be on Sonos’ servers, there doesn’t need to always be an update to allow new iOS devices to work. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Note that for TruePlay, the authorization appears to be on Sonos’ servers, there doesn’t need to always be an update to allow new iOS devices to work. 

That makes sense as to why we didn’t need a new app and/or firmware.

Three or four iPhone releases ago, I was rather surprised to figure that out, I’d always taken the assumption it required a software update. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Three or four iPhone releases ago, I was rather surprised to figure that out, I’d always taken the assumption it required a software update. 

I thought so as well because when we got the updates to 5.10, most of the iPhone 15s were working.

Yea, I’ve seen it both ways, which makes me thunk that it’s just the Sonos ‘approval’ server happened to be updated on the same day as the new client was released. And honestly, I suspect there’s an aspect of both, sometimes. Needs both an update to the client, and an update to the auth server. But how to differentiate the two, I’m not certain.