Skip to main content
Answered

Issue Setting Up Two Separate Surround Sound Zones

• 12 January 2024
  • 2 replies

I am running into issues when setting up two separate surround sound zones. 

Zone 1 (Great Room) - playbar, sub, connect:amp for 2 rear (non-Sonos) speakers. 

Zone 2 (Basement) - playbar, sub, connect:amp for 2 rear (non-Sonos) speakers. 

Currently, for Zone 1 there is one ethernet cable which runs from the Shaw router to the amp and a second ethernet cable which runs from the amp to the playbar. It’s same case for Zone 2 - one ethernet cable which runs from the Shaw router to the amp and a second ethernet cable which runs from the amp to the playbar.

Zone 1 works perfectly fine until connecting Zone 2’s ethernet cable to the Shaw router; once connected, the sound in Zone 1 cuts in and out. Why would this be? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

As a guess, I’d suggest duplicate IP addresses. If one works, the other should be fine. 

Try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, then reboot your router. Give it a couple of minutes to come up before plugging back in your Sonos devices.

However, if this doesn’t work, I’d suggest that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing one of these dropouts, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Do you have the WiFi enabled on both PlayBars? 

Zone 1 works perfectly fine until connecting Zone 2’s ethernet cable to the Shaw router; once connected, the sound in Zone 1 cuts in and out. Why would this be? 

That might be a network loop issue if they also connect to your WiFi.