Answered

How simple is it to switch between multi-room and home cinema?

• 9 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi, I’ve had a search on the forums but couldn’t find this scenario discussed.

I have a sonos beam in the living room, a One (gen 1) in another room and am thinking of getting another One (gen 2) in a third room. Is there a way to have these primarily in multi-room setting and then occasionally bring them into the living room to join up with the Beam on the TV for a surround sound setup for movie nights? I know this setup is possible in some way (with instructions on the page ‘Add surround speakers to a Sonos home theater’) but what I wanted to know is if this is a quick switch that can be done with a couple of clicks on the app each time? Or would it require re-pairing the speakers using the connection button and then re-creating the other rooms each time I move the speakers back (so basically would it take more like 30 seconds or 10 minutes to switch between these two setups?).

Also, are there any issues with combining a One gen 1 and a One gen 2 in this way?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 9 November 2021, 17:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It’s less than thirty seconds to bond/unbond the HT surrounds - then you can can move each speaker to their respective rooms - the only difficulty that most people face, is if they want to TruePlay tune the devices each time they are moved/setup in their different configurations - but if you can live without TruePlay, then it’s not too difficult at all to do these ‘moveabouts’. Although I think it’s worth, in the long term, sneaking-in another couple of speakers and then have the ‘best of both’ worlds - isn’t that what ‘Black Friday’ and the various Sales for 🤔? ha ha.

Also, are there any issues with combining a One gen 1 and a One gen 2 in this way?

Thanks!

None.  Provided you don’t really mean a Play:1 when you talk of a One (gen 1).