Answered

Hisense U6G no surround Playbar

Using the playbar and 2 play1 surrounds with an optical connection. Hisense U6G TV set to Dolby Digital for digital optical audio out. No audio from the surrounds when the TV output is Dolby digital. The Sonos app shows Dolby Digital 5.0 when audio is playing. But nothing from surrounds. When I set the audio to pass through or auto it shows Stereo PCM. And there is some audio from the surrounds but it’s just stereo. Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Tscotto 9 December 2022, 19:55

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7

What exactly are you testing? Are you 100% sure it is a Dolby Digital 5.1 source?

I’ve tried multiple movie sources. Netflix. Amazon prime. Disney +. Multiple movies. Still nothing. The Sonos app reports Dolby digital 5.0. These are all built in apps to the TV

I’ve never been a fan of the CEC / ARC implementation on the Hisense. Have you updated the TV to the latest firmware?

What happens when you use a device connected to HDMI, rather than internal ‘smart’ apps?

This is the playbar so only optical is available. TV is the latest firmware. I haven’t tried other devices hooked up to HDMI yet. 

Userlevel 7

I wonder if the issue has something to do with the original audio being in Dolby Digital Plus. Netflix, Prime Video, and Disney+ all use Dolby Digital Plus for 5.1 audio. 

What other streaming services do you use? Do you have the Apple TV+ app? Can you test the film Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol using the Pass Through, Auto, and Dolby Digital settings?

I have tried setting the TV to Dolby digital plus as well. Same result. 

I have HBO Max too. I do not have Apple TV+. Let me see if I can test that movie through any of them. 

Userlevel 7

I have tried setting the TV to Dolby digital plus as well. Same result. 

I have HBO Max too. I do not have Apple TV+. Let me see if I can test that movie through any of them. 

HBO Max uses Dolby Digital Plus too. Apple TV+ is the only major streaming app I know that uses standard Dolby Digital. Would you be willing to do the free Apple TV+ trial for testing purposes? I completely understand if you don’t.

Thanks for the tip. Tried Apple TV+ and sure enough all surrounds work. That’s with the built in app on the TV. And the setting on the TV to Dolby digital plus. Will I have to use an external Apple TV for the audio to work as expected?

Userlevel 7

An external media device might work. The Apple TV 4K has a setting where all audio sources can be converted to Dolby Digital. So this might be a good option for you. If it doesn’t work, you can always return it and try a different device.

Thanks. Do you think it’s just the TV or the apps themselves? I also have a Beam setup with surrounds on my LG TV. No issues with built in apps or the Apple TV I have hooked up to it. 

Userlevel 7

I think it’s a combination of the TV, apps, and Playbar. Most streaming apps only use Dolby Digital Plus for all 5.1 audio. The TV doesn’t seem to know how to handle a Dolby Digital Plus audio mix when it’s connected to a sound bar that is limited to Dolby Digital.

Confirmed with using an Apple TV I get full surround. So it must be the way the TV is passing audio from the internal apps?