Answered

HDMI input

I am having trouble with the hdmi input on the back of my Beam. It’s so loose it loses connection from vibration and then I lose my surround sound. This is the second Beam I’ve had that has this issue. It seems to be a factory defect.

Has anyone else experienced a loose hdmi input? How do I resolve?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 June 2023, 11:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Are you using the HDMI cable that Sonos provides?

I don’t know if I am or not, for sure. I suspect I am. 

Well, that would be my first troubleshooting step.  See if the issue exists using a different cable, preferably the one provided by Sonos.

And when you say you lose surround sound, do you mean that the surround speakers don’t play anymore but you still hear audio from the Beam?  Or you get know TV audio at all?

I haven’t had any problems with Sonos hdmi ports (Beam, Arc or Amp)), and don’t recall hearing about that here except when the issue was a bad cable….and not very often.

So are you a Sonos customer or a Sonos employee? 

Like I said, this is the second beam I’ve had this issue with so it seems odd I’m the only one. 

Right now, I can only change volume on my TV through the Sonos app. But then all of a sudden I can use my TV remote but then the surround is disconnected. It is 100% due to the hdmi. I’m not sure how to even begin to fix this. Ugh. 

Like I said, this is the second beam I’ve had this issue with so it seems odd I’m the only one. 

Right now, I can only change volume on my TV through the Sonos app. But then all of a sudden I can use my TV remote but then the surround is disconnected. It is 100% due to the hdmi. I’m not sure how to even begin to fix this. Ugh. 

I would try a different cable - I have several Sonos HT products including two Beams and none of them have the issue and I’ve not seen the issue reported in this community before. So it makes sense to try other HDMI cables with HEAC support v1.4+.

Sonos employees are clearly marked.

In my experience the HDMI port on Sonos devices is loose, until it's not.  It takes a little bit of oomph to get it seated, and once it is, it's not going anywhere.

This sounds like an intermittent CEC protocol issue - make sure the HDMI cable is v1.4+ and has HEAC support.

Thanks, Ken. How would I know if my cable is v1.5+ and has HEAC support?

Thanks, Ken. How would I know if my cable is v1.5+ and has HEAC support?

The one supplied with your Sonos product is definitively compatible but if using your own cable you may find the version printed on the cable or on the packaging. Here is some further information about HDMI cables…

Any HDMI cable with HEAC support can handle Arc/eARC. Both the HDMI cable which comes with Beam and Arc have HEAC support.

Technically there are four kinds of cable :

• Regular HDMI
  • High-Speed HDMI
  • High-Speed HDMI with ethernet 
  • Ultra-High-Speed

The cable that comes with the Beam/Arc is a High Speed one with ethernet, whereby the ethernet pins are used for Arc/eArc. Sometimes referred to as HDMI 1.4+

HEAC - HDMI Ethernet and Audio Return Channel

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @TGrosser 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

There are really only two possibilities - either the plug on the cable is too small, or the socket on your Beam is too large. If more than one cable has a loose fit, then it seems most likely that the socket on the Beam is too large - if this is the case, we will replace the unit for you. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team if you find a second HDMI cable has a loose fit too.

I hope this helps.