Answered

HDMI ARC / Samsung Set-up - Unable to select Dolby Digital

• 8 July 2023
  • 3 replies

EDIT: I was able to select Dolby Digital after restarting my AppleTV. But I am not able to select Dolby Digital+. Anything I can do to get that option?

I recently set-up an Arc Soundbar, Sub (Gen 3) and 2 Era 100 speakers for surround sound. I noticed while watching TV Samsung QN82Q70RAFXZA) that there was no sound from the Era speakers so I checked the TV Sound Settings and for some reason I cannot select Dolby. The only option is PCM. I swear prior to installing the Era speakers that I had it set to Dolby. I double checked the HDMI and it is plugged into the ARC port on the back of my Samsung TV and plugged into the Arc Soundbar. Not sure why I am unable to select Dolby from the TV Sound Settings.

Additionally, I checked my AppleTV settings as well since that is primarily what we watch TV and Movies with. What am I missing or doing wrong?

Red HDMI plugged into Arc Soundbar.
Samsung TV Sound Setting won't let me change to Dolby Digital even though I am plugged into the ARC HDMI port.
Samsung TV Sound Settings set to Receiver HDMI.
AppleTV Audio set to Receiver.
AppleTV Audio set to Dolby Digital 5.1

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 8 July 2023, 05:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Make sure you are playing a 5.1 source from the Apple TV before you try to change the Digital Output Audio Format setting on the TV. If you are playing a stereo source, it probably won’t let you change the setting.

Note that the audio setting on your Apple TV (Audio Format) is set to Dolby Digital, you’d need to adjust that as well. But not all content is in Atmos, for instance. And certainly don’t use anything from YouTube as a test. 

Userlevel 7

@LarsUSD Because your TV is not equipped with eARC, the Apple TV can only play standard Dolby Digital 5.1 or Stereo PCM audio. If you want to play Dolby Digital Plus audio, you either need to use the TV’s native streaming apps or use a different streaming device that supports Dolby Digital Plus like a Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield, or Fire TV Stick.