HDMI ARC problems with Sony KD-65X8500G TV

• 4 July 2023
  • 4 replies

What can I do to get Sonos Arc Sound Bar working on my Sony KD-65X8500G TV ?

Trying to setup my brand new Sonos Arc with my Sony KD-65X8500G TV. Have downloaded the Sonos2 app on my iphone. Within  ‘TV Setup’ it asks to ‘Turn on your TV, then plug the HDMI cable into the HDMI ARC port’ - to which I have done and then pressed ‘Connected to ARC’. I then get a message pop up ‘HDMI ARC not detected. Make sure the HDMI cable is connected to the ARC port and your TV is on’

I have done this over and over, even re setting the Sonos Arc, turning off power to Sonos Arc, turning off power to TV, Disconnecting HDMI cable from both TV and Sonos Arc and re connecting - and still getting this same message - VERY FRUSTRATING !!  Is my TV settings wrong somewhere? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Try connecting the HDMI cable to your TV before turning it on. Sometimes the TV doesn’t recognize that a device is connected to it’s HDMI port after it’s on.

Just curious…how are supposedly turning off power to the Arc as it has no on/off button?

One more point….in the menu of the Sony make sure audio is set to HDMI and not internal speakers or optical.

Hi AjTrek1

Thanks for your reply. Yep I have tried ‘connecting the HDMI cable to your TV before turning it on’ several times now - and still the same message.

Been turning off power to the Sonos Arc via mains power switch, plus re setting it a few times also.

Settings for audio on Sony TV where checked several times re correct settings for HDMI. 

In the end I tried the optical adaptor, to which has worked, then tried back to the ‘HDMI Arc Port’ to which is still not working - The TV is only 1 - 2 yrs old - maybe has a problem with the HDMI Arc Port I would say. 

I was told by the Salesman at The Good Guys the Sonos was the easiest Sound Bar to set up - Hence why I bought it - Yer right - I have spent hours upon hours….. Oh well, the optical adaptor has at least given me some sound. 

@Tez Tez 

I would maybe give Sony Support a call… there are some things mentioned about some Sony TV’s and soundbars (other brands too) online, where the below fixes are discussed, however I would perhaps first call Sony and see what they say…

Turning on IP Simple Control
Open Settings
Go to Network and Internet
Go to Home network
Go to IP control
Go to Simple IP control
Toggle On 

https://youtu.be/VXDYspxEClg

Setting  RS232C Control to "Via Serial Port"
Open Settings
Go to Remotes and Accessories
Go to RS232C Control
Set it to "Via Serial Port" 

https://youtu.be/StZc22GENe8

With most Sony TV’s these are the recommended audio out settings too for the Sonos Arc…

• eARC: Auto
  • Digital Audio Out: Auto 1
  • Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus
  • Pass Through Mode: Auto

Great, Thanks for all the info Ken - Will give it a go