Answered

Golf Channel Announcers Not Audible

• 12 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Badge

This is a recent issue.  We have a Playbar connected to an older Sony XBR-65850C via optical out.  We also have a Sub and two Play1s configured for surround sound. When watching tournaments on the Golf Channel, we cannot hear the announcers.  We can hear background noise - fans, players talking, etc. - through the Playbar.  I feel like this used to come through the Play1s. 

Commercial audio is fine. Tournament audio on network channels like CBS and NBC are fine.  If we cast from mobile app or laptop to the Sony, the audio is fine.

Ideas?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 February 2023, 06:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What audio does the Sonos app say you are getting when this happens?

How are you accessing the Golf Channel? I suspect that you are listening to a secondary audio channel. These are designed for dual language environments. Normally, this would be a cable box issue that would involve all channels. I don’t know why this would be specific to the Golf Channel.

Second audio channels would also be in stereo, as @106rallye is alluding to, which makes the ‘center’ channel much less prevalent. I would concur that either the Golf channel is sending only a stereo signal, or the settings have been reset on the TV….although if NBC and CBS are fine, it really points the finger squarely on the Golf channel. If it were an issue with Sonos, all channels would be impacted. 

Badge

What audio does the Sonos app say you are getting when this happens?

Does this answer the question?

Badge

How are you accessing the Golf Channel? I suspect that you are listening to a secondary audio channel. These are designed for dual language environments. Normally, this would be a cable box issue that would involve all channels. I don’t know why this would be specific to the Golf Channel.

Not sure how to answer this.  I have a cable (Shaw) subscription, and there is HDMI out from the cable box to TV.

Badge

Second audio channels would also be in stereo, as @106rallye is alluding to, which makes the ‘center’ channel much less prevalent. I would concur that either the Golf channel is sending only a stereo signal, or the settings have been reset on the TV….although if NBC and CBS are fine, it really points the finger squarely on the Golf channel. If it were an issue with Sonos, all channels would be impacted. 

Thanks.

No, unfortunately, it doesn’t, other than tell us it’s not Atmos.

Instead, while playing a source (Golf channel) that seems really quiet on the voices, go to Settings>System>About My System and scroll down to where the area is listing for your PLAYBAR, specifically the line under it that says “Audio In”. My bet is that it will say “Stereo” rather than Dolby Digital 5.1” which likely means that the Golf channel is sending a stereo signal, and you should complain to them. However, if it does say “Dolby Digital 5.1” or something along those lines, back out, and run a  system diagnostic and take a note of the number, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Edit; I’d be really tempted to turn off nite sounds, by clicking on that “moon” icon , just to see if that makes a difference for you, as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Where you playing the Golf channel when you took the screen shot? Because since a couple of years Sonos always says what format the it is playing next to the left of “TV”. On your screen shot there’s nothing.

Badge

Where you playing the Golf channel when you took the screen shot? Because since a couple of years Sonos always says what format the it is playing next to the left of “TV”. On your screen shot there’s nothing.

I'm using the S1 app because of an old Connect.

Golf Channel PGA Tournament broadcasts normally end part way through the round. You then need to switch over to the main network to continue watching.  Today, "bonus coverage" continued on the Golf Channel.  It must be the CBS production because I can now hear the announcers.  It would be interesting to know why!

Badge

No, unfortunately, it doesn’t, other than tell us it’s not Atmos.

Instead, while playing a source (Golf channel) that seems really quiet on the voices, go to Settings>System>About My System and scroll down to where the area is listing for your PLAYBAR, specifically the line under it that says “Audio In”. My bet is that it will say “Stereo” rather than Dolby Digital 5.1” which likely means that the Golf channel is sending a stereo signal, and you should complain to them. However, if it does say “Dolby Digital 5.1” or something along those lines, back out, and run a  system diagnostic and take a note of the number, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Edit; I’d be really tempted to turn off nite sounds, by clicking on that “moon” icon , just to see if that makes a difference for you, as well. 

I'm on the old app because of an old Connect so I don't see Audio In info.  But I did check the cable box and it is 5.1, and the TV optical out is same.

You absolutely should see ‘Audio in’ on that page I suggested you look at.