Glass Door (porch exit) and Trueplay usage?

• 15 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey all,

So I'm about to add two 300's to my Arc+Sub setup and now investigating how to setup the sound settings. Can someone advise on how should I setup the Trueplay and sound settings considering that instead of a wall, my apartment's left seating position wall is actually a glass door exiting to the porch?

Should I use trueplay with the glass door open or shut? any thoughts around that? I wouldn’t want to tampre with settings but rather go with something that would work when both open or shut. (If that’s even possible).

Regarding configuration - any advice on an approach to set it correctly for my space? I'm hesitant to go with Peter Pee's recommendations as his setup is set for a completely different acoustics than mine.

Cheers for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

@Obi-Wan Aloni,
Here’s my personal suggestion of perhaps what I would choose to do…

Normally it’s a case of covering all parts of a room with the Trueplay mobile device - but if you’re going to use the HT setup with the porch door open and/or closed, I would go with how that door is usually set for the room during a majority of your audio listening time... if that’s 50/50 I guess you could try this..

1. Set the porch door half open and cover all areas, but concentrate more in the main listening area.
  2. Set the door fully open and cover all areas equally.
  3. Set the porch door closed and just cover all the enclosed main area only.

Note if you try all three above and go onto prefer the resulting sound from the HT produced by one of the outlined methods above, then just go with that to begin with.

Oh and I should mention to also try the various audio sources with Sonos Trueplay switched off.

Once you have a basic good sounding setup for your room, you can then go onto adjust the available EQ/Sub settings manually in the Sonos App and find the settings you prefer.

At then end of the day, it’s the sound overall, that you personally prefer, that really counts here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ken_Griffiths , Thanks buddy.

A couple of follow up questions if I may.

1. Noob question- can Trueplay add up multiple attempts? Or would every attempt deletes the previous? I assume its the latter but want to make sure.

2. Does the equalizer and TruePlay affect Spatial/Dolby Atmos in any way? Or is this controlled mainly by the speaker placement?

Appreciate your help here! Thank you.

Can't wait to install them and set them up tomorrow.

@Ken_Griffiths , Thanks buddy.

A couple of follow up questions if I may.

1. Noob question- can Trueplay add up multiple attempts? Or would every attempt deletes the previous? I assume its the latter but want to make sure.

Yes, every Trueplay run-through replaces the previous settings.

2. Does the equalizer and TruePlay affect Spatial/Dolby Atmos in any way? Or is this controlled mainly by the speaker placement?

Appreciate your help here! Thank you.

Can't wait to install them and set them up tomorrow.

I understand  the Trueplay (TP) process affects every type of audio that can be played on the speakers - you can toggle the TP settings off/on to hear the changes to the audio. In some cases it can be quite subtle, but effective. Same can sometimes be said for small changes in the available EQ settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Every new Trueplay resets the one before that. I do think Trueplay also does distances, so will affect Atmos.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Steps on enabling trueplay tuning

Trueplay requires surfaces to bounce off sound waves, if there is no surface to bounce the soundwaves better turn off the trueplay settings, just increase the volume

1. From the Settings tab, tap System and then select the speaker you wish to tune.

2. Tap Trueplay > Trueplay Tuning and follow the in-app instructions to tune your speaker.

3. During the Trueplay tuning process, you will be prompted to grant Sonos permission to use the microphone on your iOS device. Trueplay tuning is the only time Sonos will use audio collected by your device’s microphone.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!