Skip to main content

Just a heads up I recently installed Sonos Arc setup with 2x Fives as Surrounds and 2x Subs.  

In addition, I installed 2x Sonos Ones for extended audio throughout my home (one in bedroom, one in kitchen).

I was experiencing connection drop-out issues on my Sonos Ones whenever playing content from my TV (regardless of input source), and extending the audio beyond my living room surround.

The Sonos Ones would drop connection and the audio was very sputtered.

This issue would not happen if I played music natively through the Sonos App.  The Sonos Ones worked flawlessly if that was the case.

I contacted Sonos Support and they determined the issue to be related to my WiFi extender.  Apparently it’s a known issue that WiFi extenders confuse additional speakers on the network as they attempt to join both the main network and the wifi extender network at the same time, creating connection/audio-drop out issues.

I was informed by Sonos Support to change the SSID or WiFi name of my wifi extender. 

Reached out to my Internet Service Provider (ISP) tech team, and I was unable to change the SSID or WiFi name of the extender.  That’s not a functionality, as all the wifi extender can do is create an extension of the main network.

Instead, what I tried myself after some research, and did fix my issue: was plugging an Ethernet cable straight into my Sonos Arc from my router.  Apparently this creates a private wireless network for your Sonos system called SonosNet.

After plugging it in, the system works flawlessly.  The Sonos Ones now play the audio content from the TV with no issues. 

Just wanted to share because I couldn’t find this information anywhere and I am very happy this resolved the issue. 

Hi @cdc904, thanks for sharing your experience!

Yeah, the information you’ve posted here definitely looks correct. WiFi extenders fall under the “unsupported” category for us due to their potential unreliability in transmitting data from point to point in time to keep everything in sync. Wiring a player to create SonosNet, provided all the players are a reasonable distance from each other, should provide a much more stable connection and cause less dropouts. Of course this isn’t the case for every household out there, but if your WiFi isn’t very strong without the extenders then it’s definitely a good option. Take a look at our article on choosing between a wireless and wired Sonos setup to learn more on the differences between them. :slight_smile: