Era 300 Surrounds/Wall Mount Questions

• 1 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all!  I rent at the moment, and I have an Arc + Sub + pair of Era 300’s as surrounds in my current living room.  I’m moving to a house at the end of the month, and my new living room is a little odd, and based on my scrubbing of the internet, I have a few questions I’m seeking peer advice from:

• If I am to mount the surround Era 300’s inverted, should I mount them height-wise closer to the ceiling, or should there be a gap in between the ceiling and the speaker, and if so, how much of a gap should there be?  I do watch Atmos movies and listen to Atmos music and am looking to maximize what I can of the experience here
  • I see inverted instructions in the product guide, but am also seeing lots of chatter in other threads that the software doesn’t fully. support inverted mounting yet - what is the extent of what is not supported?  Does it not work at all?  Does TruePlay just not work when I’m inverted?  Does Atmos not work at all when inverted?  When do we think full support in software will come?  Is there an opportunity to early beta test this and help provide feedback?
  • Where would you recommend I place my sub in this space?

I included some visuals to help get an idea of the space.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @th1nkdifferent 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

• If I am to mount the surround Era 300’s inverted, should I mount them height-wise closer to the ceiling, or should there be a gap in between the ceiling and the speaker, and if so, how much of a gap should there be?  I do watch Atmos movies and listen to Atmos music and am looking to maximize what I can of the experience here

You only need free space above an Era 300 if it is mounted normally. With inverted mounting, you can mount the speaker as close to the ceiling as you like.

• I see inverted instructions in the product guide, but am also seeing lots of chatter in other threads that the software doesn’t fully. support inverted mounting yet - what is the extent of what is not supported?  Does it not work at all?  Does TruePlay just not work when I’m inverted?  Does Atmos not work at all when inverted?  When do we think full support in software will come?  Is there an opportunity to early beta test this and help provide feedback?

Inverted mounting does work, but TruePlay modelling has not yet been completed for inverted mounting of Era 300 speakers, and therefore does not work properly. Reports from customers who have set their systems up with inverted mounting report being happy with the setup, however. I do not know if they performed TruePlay or not, but you can compare and pick what sounds best to you. Atmos will work without issue. A future update will bring full support for inverted mounting.

I think it’s probably a bit late to help with Beta testing this particular feature, but you can certainly sign up at https://beta.sonos.com for future testing.

• Where would you recommend I place my sub in this space?

To one side or the other of your TV cabinet. To the left will be safer if a liquid spill on the kitchen counter to the right is a possibility. Note that Subs can be picky about their placement - moving it an inch or two can make all the difference between it sounding like it isn’t there at all, and it sounding fantastic, so be sure to experiment a little.

I hope this helps - if you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

What brackets/mounts are you planning to use? This thread maybe of interest in helping you chose the brackets:

Badge

I have the Sonos official wall mounts already (they’re currently wall mounted at ear height in my current apartment)

I bought a pair of these and I’m planning on having an electrician install these on the wall and mount the Era’s right next to them so that the Era’s cover them up as much as they can and that I have a place to stash the excess cord (I saw in the manual that not using the official power cord voids the warranty and I didn’t see an option for a shorter power cord in the Sonos online store so I figured I’d use the passthrough hole there to stuff the excess slack)