Answered

Dumb question: Is my setup 7.1, 5.1 or something else?

• 5 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a Beam Gen 2 and paired with it are two rear surrounds (Sonos One Gen 2) and a sub (Gen 2, Sonos). The Beam G2 supports Dolby Atmos. I know Atmos adds height related audio. My question is: Is this a 5.1 set up? Or is it 7.1 (or something else) because of the Dolby Atmos? I’m not sure if just by supporting Atmos if the Beam G2 means it also has 2 extra speakers in it (hence 7.1 not 5.1 confusion) to handle that, or if it just simply means it can decode and play back Atmos sources properly.

tl;dr - With a Beam G2, Sub G2, and two rear Sonos Ones G2 is my setup 5.1 or 7.1 or something else? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 June 2023, 17:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Errrrm, something else.  It will play 5.1.2. content (5 = Left/Center/Right/Left Surround/Right Surround, 1 = Sub, 2 = Left/Right Atmos Height), but the 5.1.2 doesn’t necessarily apply to individual speakers.  In fact, with spatial audio, the idea of particular channels applying to specific speakers goes out the window.  Sounds are assigned to a position in the room during mastering, and which channels play what is determined by your particular system, layout, and room acoustics. 

Getting specific about your system, the Atmos height speakers are virtual, meaning they aren’t physical speakers, they are achieved through acoustical tricks.