Answered

connecting my Epson Mini EF12 projector to my Beam and two sl surrounds

Badge

I was able to connect my Ray to my Projector through the HDMI ARC. Sounds great but my surround sound speakers (two SL’s) are extremely muted and have a little lag when I bit my ear up to it. They work if I’m playing music through Sonos but when I’m playing something from my projector they cut out. Not sure what to do :/ 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 March 2024, 03:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

How did you make the connection? The Sonos Ray uses an optical connection, not an ARC (HDMI) connection. 

What kind of signal does your controller say it is receiving? Are your extra speakers ‘bonded to the Ray as +L and +R, or are they set up as a separate ‘room’ in Sonos, and grouped together?

What source are you testing with? 

Badge

Oof sorry I just upgraded to a beam because I was running into issues with not having an HDMI on my Ray. 

Badge

They’re set up as left and right… would be better if I made them into separate groups? 

Badge

So I moved them into deprecate groups and they turned back on but they weren’t like working together so  could really choose which one I was listening to and it’s annoying. I want to figure out a way to have them all I. The same group without the surrounds becoming all muted and staticy

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So the SL’s form a room on their on? This is not the right set up for surrounds. You need to split the SL room into two rooms and ad the SL’s to the Ray as surrounds.

@106rallye is correct, except he used the term Ray, rather than Beam. If I’m interpreting your posts correctly, it seems as though you currently have set up your ‘surround’ speakers as another Sonos ‘room’ and then grouped the two rooms. 

You’ll need to go into the Beam’s ‘room’ and add those two speakers as surrounds. After that, the data in your controller will show up as Beam +LS +RS, and it should work properly. 

Badge

Yeah so I have the beam. When I connect the the SLs the the beams surround which I was doing originally thats when the speakers are muffled and fuzzy sounding. When I have them in there own groups they go back to being loud and clear but aren’t working together like they would if they were connected as surrounds 

Surround speakers are not supposed to duplicate the front speakers, they’re supposed to play ‘surround’ information, which is completely different information than is carried by front speaker channels. 

When you separate a pair of speakers and ‘group’ them with the Beam, they’ll play the same channels that go to the Beam, but in stereo, not a 3.0 signal, and be delayed by at least 75ms. This is the way Sonos software works…in order to play any other grouped room, they need to buffer the signal so that it can be played in sync across any grouped room. It will not play in sync with the Beam.

What is your goal? Sonos doesn’t make a system that repeats a direct synchronization of the center (voice) channel in another speaker,  ostensibly for the hard of hearing, despite many threads asking for such a system. 

Badge

I understand that. I’ve had Sonos for years I know it’s not supposed to all sound the same but I also know the surrounds shouldn’t be sounding super staticy, muffled and really quite. It’s not that the speakers are broken cause they sound super clear when they aren’t grouped to be surrounds 

This thread appears to be a duplicate of 

I’ll defer to those who have answered in that thread. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Closing thread as a duplicate of

Why are my surrounds SL muted when connected to beam