Skip to main content
Answered

Cannot update Sonos Arc via app on first setup

Dear community,

I recently bought a Sonos Arc which works fine when connected to my TV. The problem is that I cannot finalize the app registration (android phone) due to failure on checking for updates step (Error code 1101). Scrolling through the forums, I found that it’s due to some weird network connectivity issue which I am currently not able to solve.

Things that I’ve tried:

• Plugging ethernet cable to the soundbar;
  • Reboot router;
  • Update via windows PC app;

Before reaching to the customer support, I wanted to check if anyone recently had this problem and if there are any other suggestions solve it.

Thank you!

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @victor_danculea 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of the issue you’re having with installing your new Arc. We understood this Error 1101 issue to have been resolved with the latest update (released on Monday). Please ensure that your Sonos system is up to date (System icon » Manage » System Updates » Check for Updates), and that the Sonos app is up to date (go to App/Play Store and search for “Sonos”, update app if possible). Once done, please try updating the Arc once more.

If the Arc still will not update, please submit a support diagnostic and post here saying you have done so (don’t share the number given here), and I’ll be happy to take a look for you.

I hope this helps.

I too have had similar troubles as described above, same Error code 1101 Sonos Arc WiFi and wired attempts, first time set up, no other products plugged in. I’m on the latest Sonos app for iPhone.

I believe it's a problem with the app not the network connection. I have read multiple complains regarding the latest update of the app having many bugs. Let's hope they address it soon. 

dear Corry P, I have the same issue, with a completly brand new Sonos Arc. Sonos App is updated, but I don’t understand how to update the Sonos system. Could you explain more about this and give us more detail?.

Please note when this error happen, the Sonos App can’t show the the speaker so we can’t go to it and can’t update anything.

Many thanks in advance

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @marc roca 

By opening the app and going to System Icon » Manage » System Updates, you can set a time that your Sonos system will automatically check for system updates, or you can instruct the system to check manually.

Normally, the manual procedure would also check for an App update on your device’s App/Play Store, but at present, this needs to be done manually. The easiest way to do this is probably just to search for Sonos in your App/Play Store and apply any update that is available.

This particular issue was fixed with an app update, rather than with a system update, so you should only need to go to the App/Play Store to update the app to resolve this issue.

At this point, however, if you still see error 1101 when updating your Arc, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I purchased the Arc, i cant update the system

The Arc is connected to my network but everytime i try to update i get a failed cannot connect to the network.

System Update

Checking for update

We couldnt connect to the network... 

What is going on?

I have a new system and it cannot update the software. I can’t access any other options in the app except update software. The app is not working properly 

The diagnostics sent is ***********

Moderator Note: Recorded and removed Diagnostic number. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I resolved my issue by downloading the desktop app for Windows and successfully connecting the ARC there and updating initially there. Then when I opened the App on my phone everything has been working swimmingly since then.

Nice, thanks for the update. In my case this didn't work. Still waiting for an update on the mobile app that hopefully fixes this issue. 

If you're going nuts over this issue, like I was for 1h, the following worked for me. The issue here seems to be that older firmwares are incompatible with the current Sonos apps. So I was able to resolve it by downloading an older version of the Android app to my phone, and it just worked. This was after trying several tries with the most recent iphone and Android apps. Not every older app version will work though, because Sonos has implemented a forced app update.

I used the first version since the app UI redesign. Version 80.00.05

This certainly requires you to download the APK from elsewhere, not the Play Store. But I can confirm it worked.

This actually worked. I was finally able to setup my sound bar. Thank you very much Pedron. 

Hi @marc roca 

By opening the app and going to System Icon » Manage » System Updates, you can set a time that your Sonos system will automatically check for system updates, or you can instruct the system to check manually.

Normally, the manual procedure would also check for an App update on your device’s App/Play Store, but at present, this needs to be done manually. The easiest way to do this is probably just to search for Sonos in your App/Play Store and apply any update that is available.

This particular issue was fixed with an app update, rather than with a system update, so you should only need to go to the App/Play Store to update the app to resolve this issue.

At this point, however, if you still see error 1101 when updating your Arc, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thanks @Corry P already fixed it, I better used the Windows desktop app

Hello!

I’m having a similar situation. I have a system of 2 Era 300 and a Sub already set up in the living room that used to work fine. I tried adding today a Sonos Arc and am stuck in an update loop. I am able to add the Arc in my Android app, I chose the room (same room as my existing system), and then the app says that I need to update the Arc. It then fails with Error 1001. If I close the app, next time i start it I can’s see my system, as it forces me to do an update. And the update fails saying: “There was a problem updating your Sonos Arc”. And it shows me “Unknown Room”, Error 1000. Even though previously I had selected Living Room.

So currently I can’t use my old system at all, because the update fails and circles back to “An upate is required for your Sonos products to work”.

Could you, please help me, as I’m out of options. The Arc alone works great with the TV, but I can’t set up the whole system. I tried unplugging, resetting the Arc, unplugging the whole system, resetting the router, I tried it all. I installed the app on Monday, so it’s the latest update

Try the solution above of using a specific app version.

@pedronveloso that is not an option for me, as I have enhanced security policy on my phone. I have my work app suite on my phone, so I need to obey that security policy, which does not allow for non verified APK installs. Frankly we should not need to jump through so many hoops in order to use a product we purchased.

Completely in agreement there. One shouldn't expect this level of troubleshooting for such a premium priced product.

So I was eventually able to set it up. I can’t say that’ i know exactly how I did it. I relentlessly restarted, reset, reconnected, added and removed components until it finally was able to update the Arc. I used the Windows app on my laptop together with the phone app, but couldn’t reproduce the winning sequence again. It’s weird that the laptop app is so much dumber than the mobile app, but in the end I think the update trigger that worked came from it.

All in all, happy it works and the sound is great, but I would not recommend this system to a friend under these circumstances.. 

hi thanks for info, I too have same issue…

Android will not update software !

tried to speak to human support..6 hour wait

chat service could not help, said i need laptop….

I am on web app...where in settings can ! add device !!!!

I am now on hold for 1 hour waiting to speak to support 

your app is terrible !