Answered

Can you Trueplay tune a sonos era 300 set using Android when connected to surround setup with Arc and sub?

• 2 April 2023
  • 9 replies

The Era 300 can Trueplay tune itself on the Android app.  I was automatically prompted to do this when first adding the Era 300’s to my system, but I declined as I was going to add them as rears to my surround with the Arc and sub.  After getting the surround all setup with the Era 300’s I can’t find a way to Trueplay tune that system now.  Is it possible?  Or is it only possible when they are by themselves?  If that’s the case is the feature coming to Trueplay tune them from an Android device when they are part of a surround system?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 April 2023, 19:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

No, when bonded as surrounds the Era 300’s become slaves to the master HT device and so all become one Sonos room. That room can only be advanced TP tuned and requires a compatible iOS device to do that - tuning is not available on android. 

Unbonded standalone or stereo-paired Era 300’s can be Quick TP tuned using android, so that’s why you initially saw it was possible to tune the speakers. 

Note: it does not work to Quick TP tune the Era 300’s before bonding them as surrounds either, because when they are bonded to the HT master, they lose their TP setting anyway.

HTH

I thought that might be the case, but that’s too bad.  I hope they’re able to add this feature in the future.  Without needing to buy an updated Arc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I thought that might be the case, but that’s too bad.  I hope they’re able to add this feature in the future.  Without needing to buy an updated Arc.

I’m prepared to bet that will never happen. 

That definitely was misleading in the Sonos marketing. It said that with Android you would now be able to true play your "system" and that it would take about 30 sec and a number of test tones would be played... I assumed like Sony and many others they were going to use the mics on the ARC and the 300's to calibrate the distance and some room correction... I never saw any marketing that said the quick true play would not work in a home theater set-Up... And yet another reason I'm returning them. I specifically wanted them for my home theater, but the Atmos is so week... I can hardly hear it no matter what movie I have on and yes they are showing Atmos in the app. I found them to work better when I turned off true play! I'm very disappointed in them as surrounds! 

That definitely was misleading in the Sonos marketing. It said that with Android you would now be able to true play your "system" and that it would take about 30 sec and a number of test tones would be played... I assumed like Sony and many others they were going to use the mics on the ARC and the 300's to calibrate the distance and some room correction... I never saw any marketing that said the quick true play would not work in a home theater set-Up... And yet another reason I'm returning them. I specifically wanted them for my home theater, but the Atmos is so week... I can hardly hear it no matter what movie I have on and yes they are showing Atmos in the app. I found them to work better when I turned off true play! I'm very disappointed in them as surrounds! 

I don’t fully understand your post as you complain about the Trueplay marketing and then go onto say that you turned off Trueplay and it sounded better - so clearly you were able to Advance Trueplay your products anyway and all Trueplay will do, is provide you with a flat EQ for your room - if it sounds better disabled to your ears, then leave Trueplay disabled. I always opt to adjust a rooms EQ settings anyway in most instances, as my old ears prefer a little more treble these days, whereas my Son prefers lots more bass - which Trueplay will not often give to him.

It sounds like you haven’t even tried things fully before deciding to return them. Trying to rely on Trueplay as a "one size fits all” is a mistake on your part, me thinks.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Smiller The fact you can only Trueplay a surround system using an iPhone is clearly stated in the FAQ on the Era 300 product page.

See https://www.sonos.com/en/shop/era-300

”How do I use Trueplay™ to tune Era 300?

The Trueplay tuning experience differs slightly for Android and iOS. With an Android device, Trueplay relies on the microphones of the speaker. With an iOS device, you have the option to use this Trueplay method (referred to as "quick tuning" in the Sonos app) or the traditional method (referred to as "advanced tuning") which uses the microphones in your iPhone or iPad and requires you to move around the room. Please note that if you use a pair of Era 300 speakers for surround sound with Arc or Beam (Gen 2), Trueplay will require a supported iOS device. Refer to https://support.sonos.com/article/tune-your-sonos-speakers-with-trueplay for more information.”

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

It sounds like the people at sonos are just Apple snobs. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Not sure why they won't support Android the way they do Apple.

Not sure why they won't support Android the way they do Apple.

As has been discussed hundreds of times before in countless threads on the subject, Apple uses standardized microphones.  Android uses many differing microphones, even within a single brand and model line.  As such, you cannot standardize the tuning methods of hundreds of models of Android phones, with each model having several possible microphones like you can a few models of iPhone which use the same microphone for each model