Can't get proper surround sound with my projector

• 11 October 2023
  • 6 replies

I am having trouble getting surround sound to work properly with my system. The system:

PS5 for gaming, YouTube, streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime

BenQ TK700 4K Gaming projector - Supports eARC with Dolby Atmos & 7.1 pass through

Sonos Beam gen 1 with 2 Sonos Ones as surrounds.

PS5 is connected to projector with HDMI cable that came with PS5. I also have a new ARC compatible HDMI cable going from AUDIO RETURN output of the projector to my Beam.

The Sonos system will play audio just fine but doesn’t seem like I am getting proper surround sound. Sometimes I hear what sounds like 2 channel audio coming from the system. And other times I don’t hear anything at all coming from the rears. Why is this? My Beam gen 1 is the only device that isn’t Dolby Atmos compatible. Will I solve the problem by upgrading to a gen 2 Beam?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

First step, check the Now Playing screen on the Sonos app to check if you are getting Dolby Digital 5.1.  If you aren’t, check the settings on the BenQ.  

Thanks for your response. The Now Playing screen shows Dolby Digital 5.1. I am currently troubleshooting with Disney Plus watching The Phantom Menace pod racing scene.

My PS5 has several audio output options:
1. Linear PCM. If I select this I will hear sound coming from my surrounds but the entire system sounds thin, low quality and the sound is not full.
2. Dolby Audio. If I select this the sound quality is much better out of my beam, more full and immersive. But I get no audio from my rears. Also when navigated away from, and then back in to my Disney plus app on the PS5 the sound cut out completely. I then got an error on my Sonos mobile app stating “Unsupported audio on your home theater speaker”.
3. Dolby Atmos. Exact same result as using Dolby Audio.
4. DTS. Exact same result as using Dolby Audio

For my projector I simply follow the steps from the manufacturer:

1. HDMI Setting: To optimize your projector's performance, please follow these steps:

• Access the advanced menu on your projector.
    • Navigate to: Display --> HDMI Setting --> Audio Return + (HDMI 2)
    • Select "RAW" as the audio setting

Is the WiFi on the Beam enabled?  Regardless if the Beam is wired to Ethernet, it needs WiFi to be on so it can connect wirelessly to the surrounds.  Also, in the surround settings, set the surrounds for music to Full.  Then play a source from the Sonos app.  You should hear full volume audio from the surrounds.  That will clarify that they are working properly.

Yes, the sonos app says its enabled. And when I try to connect to the system with spotify on my phone it plays through all speakers beautifully. The system is set up as follows:

Living Room

Products:

Beam

Play:1 (LS)

Play:1 (RS)

Yes, the sonos app says its enabled. And when I try to connect to the system with spotify on my phone it plays through all speakers beautifully. The system is set up as follows:

Living Room

Products:

Beam

Play:1 (LS)

Play:1 (RS)

It’s your source(s).  Something in the signal chain is defaulting the DD 5.1 to two channels.  

These are the only settings on the PS5 for Audio Output:

Also the Disney Plus app I’m trying to use says its compatible: