Skip to main content
Answered

broadcast TV audio to whole system

• 24 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Hey everyone,

Wondering If this is possible… I have a Sonos system with 6 amps that have speakers all over the house/backyard. I'm wonder If there's a device that would allow me to use the tv I have on my back patio as a audio souce for some of the amps (mainly the amp for the backyard)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Yes.  But note that any room grouped to a TV source will lag by about 70 ms due to the need to buffer the stream.

Yes.  But note that any room grouped to a TV source will lag by about 70 ms due to the need to buffer the stream.

I mean I think that would be fine. It's for sports and such. What do I need to make that happen? 

I mean I think that would be fine. It's for sports and such. What do I need to make that happen? 

An HDMI cable from the HDMI-ARC port on the TV to the HDMI input on one of the Sonos Amps.

@jmccolgan93,
Maybe, as a quick test here, if there is WiFi available, just take one of the 6 Amps and temporarily connect it to the Patio TV (HDMI-ARC, or Optical, port (the latter needs the Sonos Optical adapter) and then ‘group’ it over the local WiFi, or wired, network to play on the other remaining Amps/Speakers around your Home/Back Yard. Note though, these other ‘grouped’ Amps will be out of sync with the video on the TV screen (approx. ~75ms delay minimum) as @jgatie mentions.

If that achieves what you’re looking for, you can always add another wireless Amp and additional speakers/Sub or even a Sonos Soundbar (Arc/Beam) instead to your TV & Sonos setup to use wirelessly on the Patio on a more permanent basis  - those new TV attached wireless speakers/devices however will play in lip-sync with the video seen on the attached TV screen.

Yeah I don't think I'll be able to attach an HDMI cable directly to the amps. All the amps are in a server rack in a closet across the house… Which is why originally I was looking for a box to covert the tv audio to something the amps can see on the network and use as their audio source. 

There are various approaches. Do you have a wired network connection at the TV and AMP’s?

There are various approaches. Do you have a wired network connection at the TV and AMP’s?

Yes I do. 

If the TV can work without a wired network connection, you could repurpose the network wire to carry audio to the amplifier cluster.

Installing a SONOS PORT at the TV is an option. You would need to derive an analog audio feed from the TV. Some older TV’s offer a stereo analog output. Modern TV’s usually provide an optical output that would require an optical to analog converter.

If you are the DIY type, note that for 10/100 wired networks pins 4-5 and 7-8 are not used. You could break out these wires and use a pair of baluns to feed analog audio back through the network wire. While not guaranteed and you risk having audio and network purists deride you for resorting to this scheme, it can work nicely.

Installing a SONOS PORT at the TV is an option. You would need to derive an analog audio feed from the TV. Some older TV’s offer a stereo analog output. Modern TV’s usually provide an optical output that would require an optical to analog converter.

If you are the DIY type, note that for 10/100 wired networks pins 4-5 and 7-8 are not used. You could break out these wires and use a pair of baluns to feed analog audio back through the network wire. While not guaranteed and you risk having audio and network purists deride you for resorting to this scheme, it can work nicely.

Sweet. I'll pick up a port and give it a shot.