Answered

Beam Gen2 Lip Sync Issues with LG OLED C2 over eARC

• 12 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have a pretty common and simple system with a Beam (Gen2) and an LG OLED C2. Connected using the supplied HDMI Cable, “eARC Support” is enabled, and “Digital Sound Output” is set to “Pass Through” in WebOS.

Unfortunately, I’m experiencing a lip sync delay of about 200ms where to audio plays before the video in movies/tv shows with Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio streams. Dolby Atmos (over DD+) seems to be okay, however. I’m using the internal TV Apps for streaming. It doesn’t matter which ones I use (Netflix, YouTube, Plex) I always get the same delay.

When I disable eArc the delay seems to be gone but I lose Atmos support on the Xbox Series X.

What I don’t want to do is manually set the delay using the Sonos App (which by the way +5 wouldn’t be enough) every time I watch a DD or DD+ movie or disable/enable eARC every time I use the Xbox. I was under the impression delay issues would be solved by some sort of lip sync correction layer in the HDMI signal spec of HDMI-eARC and were a thing of the past. Is there something else that can be done here and/or has anyone else experienced this issue?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 16 June 2023, 10:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

i am facing the same issue.

I have a pretty common and simple system with a Beam (Gen2) and an LG OLED C2. Connected using the supplied HDMI Cable, “eARC Support” is enabled, and “Digital Sound Output” is set to “Pass Through” in WebOS.

Unfortunately, I’m experiencing a lip sync delay of about 200ms where to audio plays before the video in movies/tv shows with Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio streams. Dolby Atmos (over DD+) seems to be okay, however. I’m using the internal TV Apps for streaming. It doesn’t matter which ones I use (Netflix, YouTube, Plex) I always get the same delay.

When I disable eArc the delay seems to be gone but I lose Atmos support on the Xbox Series X.

What I don’t want to do is manually set the delay using the Sonos App (which by the way +5 wouldn’t be enough) every time I watch a DD or DD+ movie or disable/enable eARC every time I use the Xbox. I was under the impression delay issues would be solved by some sort of lip sync correction layer in the HDMI signal spec of HDMI-eARC and were a thing of the past. Is there something else that can be done here and/or has anyone else experienced this issue?

Right

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Use the “Audio Delay” setting to delay the audio. Drag the slider to increase the sound delay if the audio is ahead of the video. On iOS or Android:

1. Using the Sonos App, navigate to Settings > System.

2. Select the correct room associated with the home theater product and surround speakers It should appear as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.

3. Under Home Theater, tap TV Dialog Sync.

4. Drag the slider right to increase sound delay.

If the Sonos device is behind, make sure that the Audio Delay (Lip Sync) is set to minimum. On iOS or Android:

5. Using the Sonos App, navigate to Settings > System.

6. Select the correct room associated with the home theater product and surround speakers It should appear as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.

7. Under Home Theater, tap TV Dialog Sync.

8. Drag the slider left to decrease sound delay.

9. If you find that the audio is lagging behind the video, try rebooting your source device (e.g., DVD/Blu-ray player, game console, cable box) and your TV.

1. Note: If the problem continues, contact the manufacturer of the device to see if there is any additional audio processing that can be disabled. There is no setting within Sonos that will correct this issue.

Badge +1

Use the “Audio Delay” setting to delay the audio. Drag the slider to increase the sound delay if the audio is ahead of the video. On iOS or Android:

1. Using the Sonos App, navigate to Settings > System.

2. Select the correct room associated with the home theater product and surround speakers It should appear as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.

3. Under Home Theater, tap TV Dialog Sync.

4. Drag the slider right to increase sound delay.

If the Sonos device is behind, make sure that the Audio Delay (Lip Sync) is set to minimum. On iOS or Android:

5. Using the Sonos App, navigate to Settings > System.

6. Select the correct room associated with the home theater product and surround speakers It should appear as Room (+LS+RS) on the Room Settings menu.

7. Under Home Theater, tap TV Dialog Sync.

8. Drag the slider left to decrease sound delay.

9. If you find that the audio is lagging behind the video, try rebooting your source device (e.g., DVD/Blu-ray player, game console, cable box) and your TV.

1. Note: If the problem continues, contact the manufacturer of the device to see if there is any additional audio processing that can be disabled. There is no setting within Sonos that will correct this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work for me. Besides that the slider in the Sonos App wouldn’t go far enough to compensate for the delay, this is also pretty inconvenient to do every time I watch something in DD or DD+ but not in DD+ Atmos or while Gaming. I’m looking for a permanent solution that works without the need of fiddling around all the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Professio7 

Thanks for your post!

Given that some formats are in sync, while others are not, I recommend you contact LG as it is the TV that is in charge of ensuring that the audio and picture are in sync.

Having said that, you could try unplugging your TV from power for a couple of minutes (long enough for the internal capacitors to fully discharge), and you may find disabling eARC will help (note that you can still get Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus over ARC).

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think you’ll find the audio is behind the video, as the TV is delaying it, because LG. (This is why adding additional audio delay in the app isn’t going to help).

You can try delaying the video a bit, by NOT using Game Mode on the TV for example.

If LG aren’t willing/able to fix it, you can use an HDFury to take the TV out of the audio path.