Answered

Beam gen 2 surround setup with consoles and Apple TV (I'm clueless!)

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi, today I upgraded my Beam 1 to a Beam 2. I have two One surround speakers and a mini sub.I’m using a 2022 LG Oled with earc,

I own, Switch, PS5, Xbox series X and Apple tv. Now, since upgrading I’m totally lost what my settings for each should be :(

Currently with switch I’m getting Multichannel PCM 5.1. Which is what I should be getting.

But on PS5 I set my settings to Dolby Atmos but the sonos app tells me that the audio is multichannel PCM 7.1. Even when using a Atmos game. Apple TVis also showing as multichannel PCM 7.1  Is that the correct audio that I should be getting as my system is only 5.1? Why 7.1 and not dolby?

On Xbox, I have set it to Dolby atmos and with that it shows as Atmos in the app. But then I read that atmos on Series X has a delay. So, I'm lost as to what my best settings should be.

Can someone here please be kind enough to what the best TV/console settings are for each device? I’ve done a search but there does not seem to be any PS5 settings suggested after it got its Dolby atmos update.

Tagging in @GuitarSuperstar as he has helped me in the past.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

icon

Best answer by DannyUFCfan 29 March 2024, 00:43

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7

TV settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Sound Output: Pass Through
eARC Support: On

Nintendo Switch settings:

TV Sound: Surround

PS5 settings:

Output Device: HDMI Device (AV amplifier)
HDMI Device Type: AV amplifier
Number of Channels: 5.1 ch
Audio Format (Priority): Linear PCM for gaming or when watching a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc. When streaming 5.1 content from the PS5 or watching a Dolby TrueHD encoded Blu-ray disc, change this setting to Dolby Audio. When playing any native Dolby Atmos content or games that use the 3D audio engine, use the new Dolby Atmos setting.

Xbox settings:

HDMI Audio: 5.1 uncompressed (for non-Dolby Atmos content and gaming), Dolby Atmos for home theater (for all Dolby Atmos content)

NOTE: With the “Dolby Atmos for home theater” setting, the Xbox will up mix all non-Atmos audio content to a faux “Dolby Atmos”.

Enable Allow passthrough

Apple TV settings:

Change Format: OFF
Dolby Atmos: ON

What streaming apps do you use?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

TV settings:

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream
Digital Sound Output: Pass Through
eARC Support: On

Nintendo Switch settings:

TV Sound: Surround

PS5 settings:

Output Device: HDMI Device (AV amplifier)
HDMI Device Type: AV amplifier
Number of Channels: 5.1 ch
Audio Format (Priority): Linear PCM for gaming or when watching a DTS-encoded Blu-ray disc. When streaming 5.1 content from the PS5 or watching a Dolby TrueHD encoded Blu-ray disc, change this setting to Dolby Audio. When playing any native Dolby Atmos content or games that use the 3D audio engine, use the new Dolby Atmos setting.

Xbox settings:

HDMI Audio: 5.1 uncompressed (for non-Dolby Atmos content and gaming), Dolby Atmos for home theater (for all Dolby Atmos content)

NOTE: With the “Dolby Atmos for home theater” setting, the Xbox will up mix all non-Atmos audio content to a faux “Dolby Atmos”.

Enable Allow passthrough

Apple TV settings:

Change Format: OFF
Dolby Atmos: ON

What streaming apps do you use?

You’re a star! I would bye you coffee if I could :)

I use Apple TV for all my streaming. Netfilx, apple tv, Amazon prime.

Userlevel 7

With the settings I posted above, on the Apple TV, you should get Multichannel PCM audio for all 5.1 content. You should get Dolby Atmos audio with all Atmos content.

FYI… on Prime Video, you can only get Dolby Atmos audio now if you pay for the “ad-free” tier.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

With the settings I posted above, on the Apple TV, you should get Multichannel PCM audio for all 5.1 content. You should get Dolby Atmos audio with all Atmos content.

FYI… on Prime Video, you can only get Dolby Atmos audio now if you pay for the “ad-free” tier.

Just tried your settings and now bizarrely I’m not getting any audio out of any off the consoles. But I am getting some with Apple which is still multichannel 7.1. Maybe, switching it to pass-through has done it? I dunno? I’ve tried the old turning the tv off and on again lol

Sorry to be a pain.

Userlevel 7

Keep the settings I posted above and do this:

Disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Beam and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Simplink is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Beam has been successfully connected, connect the devices to the TV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Keep the settings I posted above and do this:

Disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Beam and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Simplink is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Beam to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Beam has been successfully connected, connect the devices to the TV.

I’ve done this. Still no audio on consoles. Could I be looking at faulty beam here 🤔

The only thing I could not do was run tv setup in the sonos app? Do you want me to delete my system from the app ? Because that’s the only way I could see to run the tv set up again.

If I change the settings I do get audio, but not 5.1

Edit: if i switch the PS5 to dolby atoms from linear pcm then I now get Dolby atmos.

Edit: 2 OK, after switching off the TV for the third time I’m now getting Multichannel pcm 5.1 from  all 3 consoles! Why it’s working now, I have no idea, at all lol How weird that it just suddenly started working,

Thank you so much @GuitarSuperstar 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ok, console wise everything is working as intended. However, with apple TV the sonos app shows MPCM 7.1 while playing non Dolby atmos audio. Shouldn’t this be 5.1? Dolby atmos plays as intended. Is this perhaps a glitch?

Promise, this is the last time I bug you ;) @GuitarSuperstar 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

OK, after turning everything back on today, I’m back to no audio on the consoles with your settings. I do get audio when I change settings on the console. I’m I looking at a busted beam here, @GuitarSuperstar ? Is there anything left to try or should I get in touch with Sonos? Thanks again for all your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ok, console wise everything is working as intended. However, with apple TV the sonos app shows MPCM 7.1 while playing non Dolby atmos audio. Shouldn’t this be 5.1? Dolby atmos plays as intended. Is this perhaps a glitch?

As @GuitarSuperstar said above thats the normal way AppleTV works. It’s not possible for ATV to automatically switch between Atmos and DD5.1. 
If „change format“ is set to off ATV uses multichannel PCM. Just if „Dolby Atmos“ is set to „on“ that is used instead of PCM. 
To get DD5.1 you have to set „change format“ to DD5.1. 
I also would like Apple to get this managed. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

As @GuitarSuperstar said above thats the normal way AppleTV works. It’s not possible for ATV to automatically switch between Atmos and DD5.1. 
If „change format“ is set to off ATV uses multichannel PCM. Just if „Dolby Atmos“ is set to „on“ that is used instead of PCM. 

Thank you for the info re:apple. So, it’s actually putting out a 5.1 signal? I’m not missing out by leaving it at 7.1. It does switch to dolby atmos when it’s available.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

As @GuitarSuperstar said above thats the normal way AppleTV works. It’s not possible for ATV to automatically switch between Atmos and DD5.1. 

Thanks for the info Re: apple. So, it is still sending 5.1 audio? It’s not messing up my sound by leaving it at 7.1?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Guys, I think I’ve fixed it! It was the HDMI cable 😭

Everything is working as it should when I use the supplied HDMI cable. It was the only thing that I did not change, yesterday.

It’s strange as my cable is a fully 2.1 cable.  Any idea why that would be the case? Obv I’ll just switch to this one, now. @Schlumpf @GuitarSuperstar 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@DannyUFCfan 

Sadly there are many HDMI cables on the market that are not worth its money. Sometimes buying a cable seems to be some kind of lottery game. 😉