Beam at a different location

• 25 October 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

My wife is having an event and wishing to use our beam in her classroom.  Will it work if I take it out of my home, and simply hook it to her classroom tv with hdmi?  I am not planning to remove it from my system in the SONOS app, or setting up a new system at her school.   I just want to make a physical connection for one day, and then return it to its usual place in my home.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t if you only want to output TV Audio.  You’ll need to use the buttons on the Beam to control volume, as your mobile won’t be able to connect to it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@UKMedia That was my assumption, thank you for the answer.  I’ll give it a try one night this week.

Note that the TV you’re connecting it to needs HDMI ARC, and not just HDMI. 

Userlevel 7

Note: The connection can also be via optical-out using the supplied Optical/HDMI Adapter. 

And you’ll also need to change the TV settings to output audio via HDMI-ARC/optical.  I definitely would do a test run of the setup before the event.

wow, you are undertaking a risky operation - I would recommend a dry-run before the event - each time I tried to move my Sonos gear to a temporary place it took a lot of time to get it working - even when I moved my router with it, it was not working well - keep in mind that without the Sonos App working, you will have no control of what is happening with the Beam

wow, you are undertaking a risky operation - I would recommend a dry-run before the event - each time I tried to move my Sonos gear to a temporary place it took a lot of time to get it working - even when I moved my router with it, it was not working well - keep in mind that without the Sonos App working, you will have no control of what is happening with the Beam

The big difference here is that OP Isn’t relying on a network for audio, since the Beam will be wired to a TV for audio.  There is no need to worry about wireless setup or that a high number of people in the room will cause interference issues.  And no, you will not need the Sonos app in this case since you have the hard buttons on the speaker itself for volume control.  However, you should make sure the hard buttons are enabled and autoplay is turned on.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I have no intention of joining the local wifi in the classroom.  This will be a simple hard wire application.  I do already have auto play activated, and all buttons enabled.  Additionally, I do not plan to rely on the app for control, as I want to keep my 8 speaker home system intact.  I plan to do a dry run this week, but have other options in case this doesn’t work as expected.

Thanks to all who have offered advice.  It is much appreciated.

The big difference here is that OP Isn’t relying on a network for audio, since the Beam will be wired to a TV for audio.  There is no need to worry about wireless setup or that a high number of people in the room will cause interference issues.  And no, you will not need the Sonos app in this case since you have the hard buttons on the speaker itself for volume control.  However, you should make sure the hard buttons are enabled and autoplay is turned on.

@melvimbe yep, that is the theory 

@wds0001 you are very welcome and very wise to a have a Plan B :wink: