Skip to main content

I can see similar stories of this issue popping up here and on other forums but can’t see any resolution. 

example:

I’ve had the beam 2 a few weeks and started to notice a few days ago. First thing I noticed it on was watching Reacher on Prime Video.

Two scenes across the series generated similar to what is described in this thread - squeaky metallic noise over voices which was really high pitched and coincided with talking. A few scenes later it was gone but it was really noticeable at the time and replying the scene it comes back. 

LG G2 TV - eARC HDMI - Oututting Dolby Atmos.
Beam Gen 2. No surrounds.

is this is a known issue or a hardware defect? Seems like some people have tried multiple units with the same issue?

It would help if you gave the time on track when the issue presents.

Sure thing. 

REACHER Season 1 episode 1 - 5min 20 seconds

Scene where reacher is being questioned by Finlay. 

Finlays voice, especially if the volume is turned up, causes really noticeable distortion and metallic sounds over the top. 

Update:

• I followed other suggestions to add surrounds which commonly fixes the issue. Added two SONOS ONE in surround mode and it did NOT fix the issue. 
  • I tried night mode; loud mode; turning height/bass/etc up and down. Did not fix the issue. 

contacted the retailer I bought from who have agreed to swap for a new one. Will report back if issue remains on new device. 

New one arrived today. Straight swap and setup. Issue appears to have been resolved. 

I can only assume in my case it was something on the unit - hardware or software fault 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sure thing. 

REACHER Season 1 episode 1 - 5min 20 seconds

Scene where reacher is being questioned by Finlay. 

Finlays voice, especially if the volume is turned up, causes really noticeable distortion and metallic sounds over the top. 

Just to briefly say I did try to test your issue here with the Beam setup, but couldn’t reproduce it, with or without surrounds, but see you’ve sorted it now.

I have the same issue. 

It's becoming unbearable so gonna have to flog it, lose a few 100 quid shifting it on eBay. 

Will never use Sonos again 

I’ll never understand folks that are unhappy but sit out the Sonos “free return” period and have to sell at a loss.

Unsure as to what you don't understand???? Who sits on their arse to wait past the 30 days to complain???? What are you even on about. 

I bought the unit. Tried for weeks with customer service to try correct the issue. The issue wasn't corrected. 

So the retailer sent out a replacement and by the time I got round to testing it, it was out of the 30 day period. 

I never understood people who think everyone should sit at home everyday and test soundbar to ensure they're correct within the 30 day period. 🤷🏻‍♂️

In all seriousness, there is an issue.  It's not being addressed and it's caused many customers upset.  

I along with many others want to find a resolution.  But we're  not even being acknowledged and your comment is an example of not being helpful. 

You don’t say what country you are in but the US has a 45 day return policy, you can select other countries at the bottom of that page.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/terms#legal-terms-sale-returns

We are confident that you will love your new Sonos product, however, if you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply let us know within 45 days. We will refund the full purchase price, and we will even cover the shipping cost back to us.

The UK gets 100 days.

We are confident that you will love your new Sonos product; however, if you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply let us know within 100 days. Subject to the conditions below, we will allow you to return the product at our cost, from the original delivery address (in the Delivery Territories), and will refund the full purchase price.

I believe the dates could ask the dates be extended if you have an active support case open but that would be on a case by case basis.

I have a beam 2 in two different locations. so that means I need to box up both at different locations. contact sonos, wait for refund then find another system. I have 9 other Sonos speakers in my house and the speakers work great for music but the entire point of a soundbar is for it work with TV. I would rather keep it and use it with the sonos ecosystem IF they can get it fixed. The lack of transparency from their engineering department is unacceptable. Simply come on the this thread and say when a fix is coming or that one is never coming and I can pound sand. If a fix is coming I don’t mind waiting but if it’s never going to materialize then I am now past the return window. It’s a quagmire. 

Sonos never announces future plans here beyond saying the issue has been forwarded to the decision makers.

Contacting Sonos Support is still going to be your best option.

I have the same issue (at least very similar).

It's most profound when using Xbox Series X. Explosions, crowd cheers and similar high pitched noises have this metallic sound. Like a really low quality mp3 file.  I tried playing with EQ etc. and I discovered if I turn audio height to -10 it reduces the issue.

I don't have this issue with movies, music, streaming. Sometimes it pops up when playing files from external HDD.

Setup:

Beam 2

Sub mini

LG OLED55B9PUA

Xbox Series X