Answered

audio syncing

• 21 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, I've a modern Samsung frame TV and currently the audio goes through two Sonos era 100s. Occasionally there is a lip sync delay. Can this be rectified? Would a wired connection rather than a Bluetooth connection solve the problem?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 21 September 2023, 13:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

The Era 100s are not designed to be used as your primary TV speakers. Connecting the TV via line-in connection will likely result in lip sync issues too. The best option is to use a Sonos sound bar like an Arc or Beam instead. You could  use the Era 100s as surrounds with the Arc or Beam.

Bluetooth audio is not that reliable in my own experience when used in conjunction with video on some devices, like TV’s, as things can fall out of sync from time to time. Often stopping/pausing and restarting the playing source can fix the issue. There’s no point wiring Era’s directly to the TV via their line-in as that will introduce a minimum of 75ms delay to the audio output and may leave the audio always out of sync. The Era speakers were not intended to handle the demands of TV audio over their line-in in any case and to keep in sync with video.

The much better option would be to use a purpose-built Home Theatre Sonos product instead…

• Sonos Arc/Playbar
  • Sonos Beam (gen2)
  • Sonos Amp
  • Sonos Playbase (no longer manufactured by Sonos)
  • Sonos Ray

The HT products can be connected to the TV using Optical, or in some cases HDMI ARC/eARC (recommended) and bonded together with 2 x Era 100’s as a Home Theatre surround sound system and all products combined would play in lip-sync with the video on the TV screen - so I would personally urge you to maybe look at that HT option instead, as it will most likely resolve the lip-sync issues once and for all.

An occasional lip sync issue suggests that lip sync varies from program program. This has been my experience with TV audio in general. Movie channels have the most consistent lip sync because very ridged standards were developed by the movie industry in in the 1940’s. I’ve been in the control room of TV stations, complained that sound was already out of sync, and given a stare indicating that I just didn’t “get it”.

As GuitarSuperstar notes, ERA 100’s are not designed to be used as primary TV speakers and lip sync issues are expected. Some TV’s and sources support lip sync adjustments that may help your situation.