Answered

Audio dropouts on Playbar

• 19 November 2023
  • 14 replies

I have a playbar connected via optical to my TV. I'm noticing increasingly frequent short audio dropouts normally of less than a second. This occurs regardless of the source whether inbuilt apps like Netflix or STB on HDMI. I've played with various settings on the TV and it does seem related to how the Playbar processes Dolby Digital. All software is up to date and I'm running the Playbar with sub and 2 Play:1s on surround. Any suggestions please?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 20 November 2023, 06:54

View original

14 replies

If relevant, powering the soundbar off then on again seems to have solved the issue for now. Would still be nice to know why this happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Next time capture a diagnostic (within a few minutes) and contact Sonos support with the number it provides and they can look at your internal (hidden from us users) data and possibly see the cause and a fix.

I have the exact same issue, happened with last software push I believe. Getting very tired of resetting now every couple of days.

What did Sonos support say when you contacted them?

Userlevel 1

I have this same issue. PlayBar is connected to optical through the Samsung TV and wifi for music streaming (Apple Music). It’s set up as a surround with two Play One’s and a Sub. Cuts out regardless of on optical or wifi intermittently. Unplugging the PlayBar seems to help it for a while then it acts up again. Sometimes, when it cuts out, it stops playing music completely. Very annoying. I’m going to submit the diagnostic and call them. Standby for an update!

Userlevel 1

Hi Folks, so I contacted support after submitting the diagnostic. We basically unpaired everything and put it back together. The audio skips seem to have stopped so we will see. I had it set up as a home theatre so disconnected the sub and surrounds and paired them back again. It’s working so we’ll see. 

I have exactly the same issue although playbar isn’t paired with other devices. It has worked without issue for years so am presuming a software update has been the cause. Power off/on resolves the problem for a short while only for it to return. Very frustrating, if anyone has a fix I’d be grateful. 

I have exactly the same issue although playbar isn’t paired with other devices. It has worked without issue for years so am presuming a software update has been the cause. Power off/on resolves the problem for a short while only for it to return. Very frustrating, if anyone has a fix I’d be grateful. 

Perhaps see this earlier thread…

It maybe best to reproduce the intermittent audio issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Many thanks, am currently on the working phase of a power reboot so will do as you suggest next time the issue occurs. From reading the link you posted it seems Sonos are aware and prioritising a fix but for the time being there’s no definitive answer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Often you can prevent future issues that are solved with a power-cycle by setting static/reserved IP addresses. Something easily done from your router’s DHCP settings page. While messing about anyway it is a worthwhile addition.

Will look into that, thanks, although the issue also occurs with unstreamed audio from tv via optical cable so I’m thinking this particular problem isn’t a router/wifi issue? The Sonos app indicates an ‘excellent connection’ with network. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

While the connection may be excellent it isn’t always stable, which the static addresses help.

Your best bet after that is contacting Support with a diagnostic in hand, we users are blocked from seeing a lot of useful information that only they can see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Will look into that, thanks, although the issue also occurs with unstreamed audio from tv via optical cable so I’m thinking this particular problem isn’t a router/wifi issue? The Sonos app indicates an ‘excellent connection’ with network. 

You are correct in that the network connection has zero affect on TV audio delivery and isn’t going to be the source of your problem.

Well, unless you have one of the Sony TVs that has the weird bug with their network stack.

I have the exact same problem with my Playbar, it has been going on for a few months. A power cycle of the Playbar resolves it for a few days but it always comes back. I have submitted multiple diagnostics to the support team and today was informed this is a known bug with Sonos but no eta to resolve. It is very frustrating.