Audio delay

Badge

Hello I 
I had a Sonos surround with an arc/ sub/ on, so -2 pcs.

And everything was excellent!

I have a Samsung tv and an apple tv last generation.

recently I upgraded my one so to Sonos five.

One now I have a delay in the sound when I watch tv.

It's only when I watch one of the regular channels.

When I watch movies and tv serials, there are no delays.

Is there something to do about it?

Thank you 🙏

11 replies

@alonr29,

How are your Fives setup at the moment, are they bonded as surrounds, or grouped to the Arc? Are those speakers set in close proximity to the old Ones, or have you moved those away to other room(s)?

Have you set the TV to ‘pass-through’ the audio, or to auto-process the audio through its ports?

Is the TV connected over the lesser bandwidth optical port (using the Sonos adapter) or are you using the HDMI-ARC port? … Have you switched that port to use as an (enhanced) eARC port and if so, have you tried it set back to ARC instead?

Have you tried powering off the TV/Sonos Arc, or reseating its HDMI cable connection between those devices?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If it only happens on one channel, isn’t it most likely the channel isn’t properly syncing sound to vision? Have you asked the station?

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths 
Hi ken
It is set up as a surround with the arc and the sub.
Arc and the sub near the tv, and the five is behind.
It's connected to the tv with eARC.

I didn't change anything in the setting when I replaced the one sl.

Only connect the five to the surround 

@Ken_Griffiths 
Hi ken
It is set up as a surround with the arc and the sub.
Arc and the sub near the tv, and the five is behind.
It's connected to the tv with eARC.

I didn't change anything in the setting when I replaced the one sl.

Only connect the five to the surround 

I assume you’ve moved the original Ones away to other areas of the Home, is that correct? 

Maybe try switching the Samsung TV to use the ARC port and disable eARC, as some users have said with some Samsung TV’s they have had more success with HDMI-ARC - just see how that goes.

Also try powering off/on the TV/Arc, the Five surrounds & Sub to setup the handshake/connections again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you are only using one Five? If so you are grouping it with the Arc introducing the 75ms delay that comes with grouping and is unavoidable. For surround you need two speakers that you add to the Arc “room” as surrounds - like you probably had with the One’s. When added as surrounds there’s (almost) no delay.

Badge

@106rallye 

Hi 

I have 2 five speakers.

Thx ☺️

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And you have added them as surrounds to the Arc?

Badge

@106rallye 
Yes, I did; I'm trying to talk with my TV provider.

Maybe the problem is from them.

@106rallye 
Yes, I did; I'm trying to talk with my TV provider.

Maybe the problem is from them.

Maybe try the playing audio set to PCM stereo format - if that’s in lip-sync, then it’s not the audio source it’s something in your setup that’s holding up (delaying) the audio before it’s delivery to the Arc, which can and will only be able to play it immediately upon receipt. If the stereo audio is fine then it’s likely the TV or one of the cable along the route not coping with Dolby surround sound audio.

Has the TV got an audio ‘pass-through’ option so that is let’s the audio pass through its ports from the source device without attempting to process it? What is the actual A/V source you are playing when this happens?

Badge

@106rallye 
The arc is conducted to apple tv last generation.
Do you think that the problem is with the HDMI cable?

See where under Audio, it says ‘Audio Format’ Stereo?

You’ll probably want to change that.