Skip to main content
Answered

ARC will not play Dolby Digital from PS5 4kbluray..... but ATMOS works perfectly

• 24 June 2021
  • 6 replies

Hello there, Im one of the few lucky the preordered early and own a PS5. I have an odd situation on my hands. 4kbluray works fine for ATMOS, but anything other than ATMOS is in stereo PCM, no dolby digital no matter what settings I use from PS5 4kbluray player.

Of course I have the TV setup as pass through...as I’ve said ATMOS works perfectly for both streaming and 4kbluray and all all equipment including TV, PS5 and all SONOS were and are constantly updated. 

I scribbled up a matrix and have tested ALL combinations of audio settings between my TV and PS5 and have tested every condition over the course of a week. Still the same...ATMOS=perfect from 4k bluray/Sreaming but anything other than ATMOS is stereo PCM from PS5 4kbluray player.

I have also tested a Sony X800 4kblu ray player instead of the PS5 and it has no issues playing Dolby Digital.

Any ideas why the ARC hates the PS5? 

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

What model TV do you have and what are the audio settings on the PS5 set to?

Samsung q65t (latest firmware), and as I wrote I made a matrix and tested all settings combination. Currently my ps5 is set to "soundboard + linear pcm".  

As I wrote Atmos works fine but anything else is stereo pcm. Setting to Dolby etc makes no difference.

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Have you tried these settings?

Audio Output Settings

Output Device: HDMI Device (AV amplifier)

Switch Output Device Automatically: On

HDMI Device Type: AV amplifier

Number of Channels: 5.1 ch

Audio Format (Priority): Bitstream (Dolby)

Disc Player App Settings

Noise Reduction: Off

Dynamic Range Control: Off

Audio Format: Bitstream

Ok set all that exactly as suggested and tv set to "pass through". Still stereo pcm.

Any ideas?

Btw I'm using Dunkirk 4kbluray which is 5.1 Dolby. Strangely , streaming it switches to Dolby digital multichannel so I know my Arc is working properly.

Really frustrated...

Userlevel 7

The English track on the Dunkirk UHD disc is actually in DTS-HD Master Audio. The Arc doesn’t support DTS audio, but it does support multichannel LPCM.

All DTS-encoded tracks will play as Stereo PCM out of the Arc unless you set the PS5 to convert DTS to PCM.

Do you have a Dolby TrueHD-encoded disc that you can test? Have you tested the French or Spanish Dolby Digital tracks on the Dunkirk disc?