Skip to main content
Answered

Arc TV volume keeps going down and then on mute

• 7 December 2022
  • 10 replies

Hi, for some reason my arc today has started to automatically reduce volume until it’s on mute. I’ve got a Sony TV and had the same set up for the past couple of years. Arc, Sub, two Ones at rear… Any ideas? Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Brenchk 

Thanks for your post!

There’s a few ways your Arc’s volume could be controlled accidentally:

• A rubber button on a remote stuck under the frame surrounding it. This could be the TV remote, or the remote for any HDMI-connected device.
  • The volume buttons on your phone being held down, if the Sonos app is open (phone cases are not unknown to do this). Or, a family-member’s phone. A phone with a third-party app that supports direct play to Sonos and has an open connection could also be responsible, even if not on the local network.
  • An HDMI device or the TV misbehaving - unplug them all from power for at least 2 minutes
  • Smart-home interactions

If this doesn’t help, the Arc does log the sources of any volume commands given to it - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Brenchk .. curious if you did the 14.20 update and it started after ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Dogdad Yes is the answer. I updated yesterday and when I first started to use the TV in the evening the volume issue started. Might be a coincidence but no one was sitting on a remote for sure! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Brenchk 

It’s probably also worth trying a reboot of your Arc, if you haven’t already.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@Dogdad Yes is the answer. I updated yesterday and when I first started to use the TV in the evening the volume issue started. Might be a coincidence but no one was sitting on a remote for sure! 

Yep.. many are having issues. FB group forums have issues posted from this last update. It seems Sonos doesn’t know when to leave well enough alone and causing people not wanting to do these updates in fear of these issues. I used to recommend Sonos and have it in every room of my house… but since all these updates and their issues.. I won’t recommend it anymore.

Userlevel 7

Yep.. many are having issues. FB group forums have issues posted from this last update. It seems Sonos doesn’t know when to leave well enough alone and causing people not wanting to do these updates in fear of these issues. I used to recommend Sonos and have it in every room of my house… but since all these updates and their issues.. I won’t recommend it anymore.

And how many are experiencing the volume decreasing like the OP? With 11M+ Households having Sonos, there will always be a tiny fraction of customers that have issues with updates. Does that mean Sonos should stop releasing updates? What about those with known bugs that can be fixed by an update? You might not recommend Sonos anymore, but you sure like to complain about Sonos at any opportunity.

I set up a new Arc and two 300s and I experienced that issue from day one. it would be great if Sonos would acknowledge this as an actual issue and that they are working to address the it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @EvelynT 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - the source of any volume changes will be recorded.

The technical support is ridiculous… You give them the diagnostics and they are only reading from the community forums. I told the guy numerous times in chat I have a Sony Oled tv, he just now replied to me with the same words from another community forum for LG Oled. I just bought this Sonos Arc last week, it worked for a few days and now my wife is like, what the heck did you buy this junk for. This is unacceptable. I really liked the Sonos Arc when I heard it at Best Buy, now I think I am going to have to rebox this and send it back and go with something else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Dean123 

I’m sorry to hear that you had a less than ideal experience with our technical support team. I can’t find any existing cases under your account, however. Please let me know your case number or the alternate email (via Private Message - don’t post either in a public location) you used when getting in touch and I’ll be happy to look into it and provide some internal feedback so we can improve matters for the next calller.

I just looked at your most recently submitted diagnostic and it’s very clear that the volume commands are coming via CEC - the protocol that HDMI devices connecting to your TV use to talk to each other. So, the instruction to turn down your Arc’s volume is coming from the TV, though I cannot tell if it is originating there or not.

I recommend you examine your TV remote for a stuck button, but also the remotes of any devices that are also connected to the TV. One of the buttons on the devices themselves could also conceivably be the culprit.

If you can’t find any issues with buttons, please reboot the TV by unplugging it from power for at least 2 minutes.

I hope this helps.