Answered

Arc stops working with TV , was working fine

• 9 November 2020
  • 55 replies

Badge

My Sonos Arc has been working fine the last weeks but a few days ago the audio from TV stopped working? Seems like the Audio Return Channel function just stopped?

I still see the wallpaper from Sonos when I choose the HDMI - ARC source on the TV, but no audio.

I have tried all the regular stuff like unplugging the HDMI, cutting power and fiddled around in the TV settings.

TV: LG 65UH7700

Sonos Arc+sub

nothing else attached to the TV

This seems to be a similar issue that many people have, but I have found no definitive fix. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Xander P 3 May 2021, 10:09

View original

55 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try switching to an optical connection and see if that works.

What is the source device, has that changed recently (eg firmware update)?

Badge

I had to order an adapter I must have thrown mine away I'll let you know how it goes

My arc just stopped sending audio from my Sony tv. It has been working fine for several months. I tried unplugging it from power and hdmi but no luck. It still works with Alexa and through Amazon music in the Sonos app. I checked and the tv software is up to date. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to solve this issue. 

Thanks 
David 

Userlevel 7

@DmSchofield Try unplugging the Arc, TV, and HDMI cable and redoing the setup process.

My arc just stopped sending audio from my Sony tv. It has been working fine for several months. I tried unplugging it from power and hdmi but no luck. It still works with Alexa and through Amazon music in the Sonos app. I checked and the tv software is up to date. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to solve this issue. 

Thanks 
David 

Same here, working for months and just stopped. There was a software update for my Sony but not at the time it stopped working (was weeks after). I am in the AV industry for over 25 years so I am pretty sure this isn’t user error - have done detailed troubleshooting and setup everything fresh multiple times. 

Userlevel 1

Same issue… I use Sonos at two homes on different accounts- one with Samsung QLED and google wifi, the other with LG OLED and netgear router. We have used Sonos for several years, 10 speakers in total with no issues. Something about the combination of S2 and Arc soundbars have made both systems extremely unstable. There are constant dropped audio streams, disconnects from the TV or the network, loss of surrounds from the system, etc. 

Tech support by phone has been unable to help. Forums always blame user error or router / network config. It’s extremely frustrating and disappointing. Please fix it. The ability of these speakers to play audio is not a feature- it is the core function and needs to be reliable. 

Having this same issue suddenly. Everything was working fine (LG OLED and Arc) but started to experience sound issues when changing input sources on the TV over the last week; and now no sound via Arc today.  Unplugging, turning off/on TV worked previously but no longer. Have tried all the troubleshooting - unplugging, resetting TV, resetting Arc, checked all settings on TV. I tried plugging the Arc into the optical port with adapter and still nothing.  I swapped the Arc out for my old Playbar connected to the TV via optical - it worked fine.  I tried changing HDMI cables to the Arc, no luck.  Seems like the Arc input is just not functioning?  It cannot detect a signal any longer in TV Setup in the app.  Has anyone come across another solution? Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @kdto - if the Arc isn’t getting a signal from either the HDMI-ARC or Optical ports, then I’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team via live chat or phone call.

They’ll be able to take a closer look at what’s happening and go through some live troubleshooting with you :)

I have the same issue. Sonos arc connected to my Samsung Q80t suddenly stopped working. Tried all reasonable troubleshooting steps (switching on and off all devices, disconnecting and reconnecting etc.) but Sonos arc can't get any signal from the TV from eARC port. My Sonos arc is less than a year old and try to return it and never look towards sonos product..so frustating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Another reasonable step would be to ask Sonos for help. Have you done that?

Has there been updates to this? I have the same issue, ARC was working then it stop with Tv audio. I have tried multiple Tv’s/hdmi’s throughout the house and keeps saying CEC not connected. Yes the CEC is turned on for all Tv’s. This has to be a product malfunction. Called support, and they walk me through doing the same thing I already done multiple times. They told me to check with the Tv manufacturer. 1 Tv, I can see but 4 different Tv brands not working. 

Can we assume that in between each TV you’re connecting to, you’re unplugging the Arc, so that it has the opportunity to reboot and reload the software?

Have you rebooted these TVs, as well? While it would be odd for the same issue to hit all 4 simultaneously, but I could see a situation with a power surge causing all 4 to “burp” in their software. A reboot by unplugging the TV from the wall for 5 minutes would force them, much like the Arc itself, to reload the operating software, which controls the CEC. And frankly, if all four TVs are the same manufacturer, it’s slightly possible there’s an issue with the latest software upgrade.

I’d start with the Arc, as I think you’re correct to place more significance on that aspect, but I wouldn’t ignore the TV as a potential issue, either. And, frankly, the HDMI cable you’re using could be suspect. Again, low chance, but we shouldn’t ignore any possibility. 

Can we assume that in between each TV you’re connecting to, you’re unplugging the Arc, so that it has the opportunity to reboot and reload the software?

Have you rebooted these TVs, as well? While it would be odd for the same issue to hit all 4 simultaneously, but I could see a situation with a power surge causing all 4 to “burp” in their software. A reboot by unplugging the TV from the wall for 5 minutes would force them, much like the Arc itself, to reload the operating software, which controls the CEC. And frankly, if all four TVs are the same manufacturer, it’s slightly possible there’s an issue with the latest software upgrade.

I’d start with the Arc, as I think you’re correct to place more significance on that aspect, but I wouldn’t ignore the TV as a potential issue, either. And, frankly, the HDMI cable you’re using could be suspect. Again, low chance, but we shouldn’t ignore any possibility. 

Yep Arc is being unplugged and being moved to each Tv. There are all different manufacturers, Sharp, Vizio, Insignia, Samsung. I will try to unplug all Tv’s for a while to see if that works, though that is doubtful. Hdmi’s work with other devices in the house. 

Yep Arc is being unplugged and being moved to each Tv. There are all different manufacturers, Sharp, Vizio, Insignia, Samsung. I will try to unplug all Tv’s for a while to see if that works, though that is doubtful. Hdmi’s work with other devices in the house.

It’s not clear if you tried a different HDMI cable, but if not, perhaps try that too. Note the cable has to have HEAC support (HDMI 1.4+) and it’s not unknown for such a cable to go faulty.

It’s not clear if you tried a different HDMI cable, but if not, perhaps try that too. Note the cable has to have HEAC support (HDMI 1.4+) and it’s not unknown for such a cable to go faulty.

That was one the first things I tried, I have used 3 different hdmi cables with Tv’s. 

Man, you’re making it hard, having done all the things we’re suggesting :)

Honestly, I’d call back support and talk your way through to what I have to assume is level 2. I can’t think of any particular reason beyond those we’ve listed for this to be failing. 

I’m assuming that you can still stream music to the Arc? It still shows up in the controller?

Might be worth posting a diagnostic number here, the forum moderators are a separate group than the phone folks. 

Man, you’re making it hard, having done all the things we’re suggesting :)

Honestly, I’d call back support and talk your way through to what I have to assume is level 2. I can’t think of any particular reason beyond those we’ve listed for this to be failing. 

I’m assuming that you can still stream music to the Arc? It still shows up in the controller?

Might be worth posting a diagnostic number here, the forum moderators are a separate group than the phone folks. 

Yeah, I can still stream music and what not but I bought it as movie surround sound system(arc, sub, 2 sr) not a glorified bluetooth speaker. I already talk to support they basically said it was Tv and call the manufacturer, even though I told them I tried this process on multiple Tv’s throughout my house. At this point I just want to send it in to get it checked. 

Yea, Sonos doesn’t, to my knowledge, offer that kind of service. It’s a full replacement device, or nothing. They don’t do any “repair/check” kind of thing. Once the CS folks on the phone authorize a replacement with varying charges due to length of ownership and type of failure, that’s pretty much it, from what I’ve seen over the years. 

And no, there’s also no “authorized repair centers” that could do that, either. There are non-licensed services, of which I’ve seen reference to in the UK specifically, but none that I’m particularly aware of here in the US. 

In the past week I have an issue where the ARC on my LG TV suddenly is not receiving audio from my SONOS beam. It had been working for the past 18 months. Basically the LG TV will not allow me to select HDMI ARC and the output and will automatically default to the TV Internal Speaker. If I connect the TV’s optical output to the SONOS it works fine (But then I lose the ability to utilize Google Assistant to control the TV) 

I have tried the following steps:

• Powered everything down for 5 minutes - No Change
  • Tried resetting the TV to default settings and then reconfigured - No Change
  • All software is updated (TV, SONOS and SONOS app)
  • Tried swapping HDMI cables - No Change

@gpicard5,

Have you enabled ‘Simplink’ and ‘auto-power-sync’ on your LG TV?

@gpicard5,

Have you enabled ‘Simplink’ and ‘auto-power-sync’ on your LG TV?

I have. Just a reminder that this worked fine for 18 months and then suddenly stopped working without any config changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Can you try another TV, to determine if it is the TV or the Beam?

Can you tell if your TV took a firmware update? Also, what TV?

It’s an LG 50” but I don’t have the model with me at the moment. I actually have 2 of the same TV and 2 SONOS Beams in my house. One set is fine and the other is experiencing this problem so I suspect that the TV software isn’t the issue but rather the BEAM or the ARC port on that particular TV. Really strange though. 

It’s an LG 50” but I don’t have the model with me at the moment. I actually have 2 of the same TV and 2 SONOS Beams in my house. One set is fine and the other is experiencing this problem so I suspect that the TV software isn’t the issue but rather the BEAM or the ARC port on that particular TV. Really strange though. 

As you have two (more or less) identical setups in the Home, perhaps swap the Beam over (and the HDMI cable too) to see if you can establish where the problem lies.

Userlevel 1

I’ve had a sonos Arc and a LG GX 77 inch tv for about a year now. Everything was working great until suddenly I had the same issue as most people: TV audio just stopped working for some reason (although music playback worked just fine).

I went into my LG tv settings as follows: All settings —> Sound —> additional settings —> I then noticed “eARC” was turned off. I turned it back on and everything works perfectly again.

I’m not entirely sure if the eARC setting just turned off on its own or there was some automatic update on the TV that unchecked it.  Anyway maybe this will help someone out there.