Skip to main content

Arc & Dolby Atmos

• 25 September 2023
  • 17 replies

It seems that a lot of Arc customers have problems with the Arc when you play Dolby Atmos contents. I am one of those.

I have tried all the twerks suggested by other customers in this Forum without success. I am aware that many had a replacement but in my case it was denied by the support team.

They are aware of the problem but they told me that from the diagnostic that I’ve sent the soundbar doesn’t have any software/hardware problem.

I was going to buy a couple of new Era 300 as Dolby Atmos surround compatible, but now I’m not that sure anymore considering the clicks and pops during the show or worse when it stops playing.

I’ve been very happy with Sonos through the years, but now I’m not that impressed.

Is there anyone with new twerks to try or how can I get a working Arc with Dolby Atmos?

Thanks anyway 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you please tell us what the Atmos source is and how the ARC, TV, and source are connected (Port types and cables)?

Badge

Thank you BTW!

TV: SONY KD-85X85J on Android 10

Source: APPLE TV 4K on TVOS 17.0 (Disney+ and Prime App mostly)

HDMI cable 2.1 connected to HDMI 2

Arc is connected to HDMI 3 (eArc compatible)

Badge

😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I can’t find anyway of confirming that HDMI 3 port on your TV is eARC compliant but I assume that you have checked this.

Can you please confirm that you changed the  Settings>Display & Sound>Audio output>eARC mode>Auto  Please confirm that you have selected Speakers and enabled the eARC

As per: https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaep1/v1/en/print.html

Badge

A/V sync: Auto

eARC mode: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you play a source that you know is Atmos, does it display Atmos in the Sonos App and your Sonos Arc selected?

Userlevel 7

A/V sync: Auto

eARC mode: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Make sure Pass Through Mode is set to Auto too.

Badge

Yes, instead when i play contents in Dolby Digital 5.1 or PCM stereo I have no problem at all. ONLY when I’m watching Dolby Atmos contents. There are clicks and pops until there’s a loud crack (usually when there’s a loud bang in the movie) another single pop and then total silence. After that I have to reboot the Arc to get working again. In this Forum many customers have reported the same issue as mine. I am aware that in some cases someone has suggested to turn down Dolby Atmos to solve the problem, but in my opinion this is not a solution. Like other customers I expect my purchase to perform at 100%! At Sonos they are aware of the issue but it seems that they can’t find a solution for the time being. That’s why some customers are getting a replacement.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar 

Yes I’ve checked and Pass Through Mode is set to Auto.

Badge

This is an example of a reply to an Xbox customer:

We are aware of this behaviour and are investigating it, but we do not have any additional information to share on a resolution at this time. 

We are also aware of other manufacturer brands experiencing the same problem. Some users have reported it with in-built TV apps, so it is not limited to X-Box and Apple TV owners.

The issue only happens when playing Atmos content, so in the meantime, you can prevent this from happening by disabling Atmos audio on the TV or source device - not ideal, I know, but if it has happened to you before and you are concerned about it happening again, this step would prevent it.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

Try this:

Disconnect everything from the TV and unplug the Arc and TV from power for a couple of minutes. Plug everything back in but keep everything disconnected. Make sure Bravia Sync is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Arc has been successfully connected, connect the Apple TV and any other devices to the TV.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar 

Thanks. I’ll give it a go!

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar 

I’ve done exactly what you’ve told me to do and after 5 seconds of viewing it was popping and clicking again! It seems that there’s no workaround for this…

Thanks anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@GuitarSuperstar

I’ve done exactly what you’ve told me to do and after 5 seconds of viewing it was popping and clicking again! It seems that there’s no workaround for this…

Thanks anyway.

I think that this will need you to contact Customer Support.  I don’t think anyone on the forum will be able to help you further.  Sorry.

Badge

@UKMedia 

I’ve already contacted Sonos support this morning. They are aware of the issue but at the moment they don’t have a clue and told me that they are looking into it and trying to solve the problem. I have a feeling it’ll take a while. Most of their customer are not into Dolby Atmos at all, so because we’re a small percentage I think they’re not in a hurry to work on it.

@UKMedia

I’ve already contacted Sonos support this morning. They are aware of the issue but at the moment they don’t have a clue and told me that they are looking into it and trying to solve the problem. I have a feeling it’ll take a while. Most of their customer are not into Dolby Atmos at all, so because we’re a small percentage I think they’re not in a hurry to work on it.

I disagree about customers wanting dolby atmos, particularly when it comes to the Arc.  There are a lot of other options out their for less money and less features.  I bet a signifincant portion of customers don’t really understand atmos and don’t play a lot of atmos content though.

Does this happen for streaming atmos music as well, if you have a service that provides that?

Also, the word is ‘tweak’, not ‘twerk’. 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

...and Dolby Atmos works fine on my Arc, not that that is any consolation to you sorry.