Answered

Arc + AppleTV 4k (new gen) + TCL Roku TV Trouble with ATMOS

• 3 November 2023
  • 25 replies

Badge

Very frustrated - have the Arc, new sub and new Era 300 surrounds.

Going from the Arc to the TCL into its eARC hdmi and the appleTV 4K into another HDMI port on the TCL.

On the TV i have the following settings:

Audio > Audio Output > ARC (Sonos Arc)

Audio > preferred streaming format > Auto

Audio > Digital output format > passthrough 

(I see no other audio options digging around the menu; I’ve read in other forums that the output needs to be “bitstream”; however i either can’t find or don’t have that option. 

On the appletv 4k
Audio Output > TV Speakers

Audio Format (it reads “auto” on the menu bar) > Change format “Off” / If I turn it “on” I can set it to “Dolby Digital 5.1” - there is no Atmos Option.

Audio Mode: Auto (only other option is 16 bit)

When I play Atmos music through Apple Music (under its Spatial Audio, which claims to support Atmos) via this set up i get 5.1 listed on the Sonos app.

Similarly, when i play movies - either through the Apple app on Apple TV or the Netflix app via the Apple TV - even when they are advertised as being Atmos - the Sonos display shows 5.1.

—the issue is with the appletv —

With the same exact set up as per above, if - rather than playing the same movie thru the Netflix app on the appletv - i play it through the Netflix app on the Roku tv - i get the Atmos signal showing on my Sonos app.

However

If i stream music from the Apple Music app on the Roku tv (as opposed to the Apple Music app on the Apple TV) i get “stereo PCM” on the Sonos display. 

It’s absolutely maddening - the Apple TV is meant to enhance the UX and a/v as compared to something like roku’s UX (ie I’d rather not ditch the appletv)

one last aside

If i switch my audio output on the Apple TV from the tv (which is routed to the arc via the eARC) to my Sonos set up via: AppleTv Settings >Audio >Audio output > temporary audio output - the sound is notably better, but i can’t discern what the actual format is bc on the Sonos app it just shows as “airplay.”

In any case, would love ANY help.

thank you,

George 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 November 2023, 22:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

Here are settings for my AppleTV 4K.

Userlevel 7

What specific model TV do you have?

Badge

@AjTrek1 - thank you very much for the photos. I have the same settings as you, but: under audio format it doesn't say ‘atmos available’ after audio. 

would seem to be the culprit. Any idea on how to access that?

Thank you again. 

George 

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar thanks for your help. Here are the details of the TV:

Thank you 

Userlevel 7

@George650 Based on my research, your TV model isn’t equipped with HDMI eARC. It only has HDMI ARC. The Apple TV 4K requires eARC to play Dolby Atmos audio on most TV models.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar that would explain it. A new TV is in my future. 

Do you know if the newer model Samsung The Frame TVs have the eARC? 

I'll obviously do my own research, but just curious if you know off hand. 

Thank you very much. 

George 

Userlevel 7

@AjTrek1 - thank you very much for the photos. I have the same settings as you, but: under audio format it doesn't say ‘atmos available’ after audio. 

would seem to be the culprit. Any idea on how to access that?

Thank you again. 

George 

That setting had nothing to do with your TV as far as availability. You may want to factory reset your AppleTV 4K (assuming it is the latest offering) and download the latest version of Apple TVOS.

Badge

@AjTrek1 worth a shot. Trying now. 

Badge

@AjTrek1 full reset. Nada. 

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar that would explain it. A new TV is in my future. 

Do you know if the newer model Samsung The Frame TVs have the eARC? 

I'll obviously do my own research, but just curious if you know off hand. 

Thank you very much. 

George 

The Samsung Frame is equipped with eARC.

If you want to keep your TV, you might consider adding an eARC adapter like the HDFury Arcana:

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

There is also the Feintech VAX04101k, and the latest, is the OREI HDA-935. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, or check your local retailers for availability. Amazon may carry some, depending on location.

At this point, there may be other external devices that can generate an eARC signal.

Badge

The frustration continues

As per the advice from @Airgetlam and @GuitarSuperstar i bought this eARC adapter:

https://amzn.to/40uiH2M 

It is one frustratingly confusing device.

In theory, this setup should work for me:

Here are the labeled inputs in a more visible manner:

As the image shows, I’ve got my Sonos Arc connected to the input 1(eARC) hdmi on the Extractor, and the Output (eARC) going to my TV (the ARC - not eARC - HDMI port on my tv).

And other devices on the other inputs: i.e.: An appleTV into input 2 and a blu-ray player into input 3.

So far so good…

However

if i turn on the eARC button on the extractor (see image below) the signal from the AppleTV goes in and out; i.e. the video and audio turn on and off. It is in fact sending an Atmos signal to my Sonos ARC, but, it’s of course unwatchable bc the picture and sound keep turning off and on.

If I disengage the eARC button (turn it off) on the extractor, i get the visual (without the turning on and off) from the AppleTV, but no audio whatsoever.

Image showing the eARC on/off switch

My first hunch was that the eARC from the extractor is fighting w the ARC input on the TV - so I tried putting the output from the extractor into another HDMI input on the TV, but I get a pop up on the TV telling me to put it in the ARC HDMI.

In any case, at my wits end. Would appreciate any help.

thank you,

George 

Userlevel 7

Hi

I’d contact the manufacturer of the extractor. There could be a firmware updated needed for it to work properly with your equipment. Those extractors are not as generic (one size fits all) as they are advertised to be. Case in point is the Arcana by HDfury. It has had  updates since it!s introduction a couple of years ago. Not just improvements but bug fixes as well.

Userlevel 7

@George650 That’s why I only recommended the HDFury Arcana since users seem to have fewer issues with it. 

If you change the EDID mode setting, does it make any difference? If you only connect one device to the adapter, do you still have the same issue?

Badge

Thanks both.

@Airgetlam i reached out to the manufacturer - not holding my breath.

@GuitarSuperstar- tried switching the EDID mode and connecting only one device - nada. should have listened to you - this one was $150 cheaper (get what you pay for). Question with respect to the HDFury - it looks like it only has one input and output - how do you configure it for multiple devices (ie an appleTV and a blu ray player) - or is that not possible.

thanks again.

George

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar- tried switching the EDID mode and connecting only one device - nada. should have listened to you - this one was $150 cheaper (get what you pay for). Question with respect to the HDFury - it looks like it only has one input and output - how do you configure it for multiple devices (ie an appleTV and a blu ray player) - or is that not possible.

Yes, the biggest downside of the Arcana is it only has one HDMI input. So if you want to connect more than one device, you need to add an HDMI switch. This ROOFULL HDMI switch is known to work well with the Arcana:

https://www.amazon.com/ROOFULL-Switch-Vision-Switcher-Compatible/dp/B083NWKPXW?

Badge

Thank you, @GuitarSuperstar 

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar could i impose on you for some guidance that will likely save me a lot of frustration? I am now the proud owner of both of the products you recommended (the Arcana and the roofull switcher). 

What is your recommendation for the best way to set this up.

As described above, I’ve got the Sonos ARC and an AppleTV4k. I’d like to also connect my PS5 and my blu ray player.

Is the correct routing:

1. Add the accessories (appleTV, PS5, BluRay) to the HDMI switch
  2. Send the HDMI switch out to the Arcana 
  3. the Arcana to one of the HDMI inputs on the TV 
  4. the eARC from the TV to the Sonos ARC

oy!! Making my head hurt thinking about it.

any guidance would be very appreciated. 

thank you,

​​​​​​​George 

@George650,

Maybe this image from the HDFury Arcana page will assist you with your setup…

Userlevel 7

@George650 Follow these steps:

1. Enable HDMI-CEC in the TV settings.
  2. Connect the Arcana to the TV (Arcana’s HDMI OUT to TV’s HDMI ARC)
  3. Connect the Arcana to the Arc (Arcana’s eARC OUT to the HDMI port on the Arc)
  4. Connect all three devices to the ROOFULL switch.
  5. Plug in the Arcana and run TV Setup under the Arc’s settings in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions.
  6. After the TV Setup process is complete, connect the ROOFULL to the Arcana (ROOFULL’s HDMI OUT to the Arcana’s HDMI IN).
Badge

@GuitarSuperstar and @Ken_Griffithsthank you both so much. 

I've done exactly what you both described and am getting somewhere:

TV switched to the Appletv as soon as I turned it on

Appletv now showing ‘auto, atmos available’ under audio format (never did that before)

But...alas no audio

I think it must be a setting w either the TV or atv??

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar @Ken_Griffiths i removed the ROOFULL from the chain (ie atv right into Arcan) - same situation - great picture / no audio. 

Any thoughts would be wildly appreciated. 

Thank you 

Badge

Potentially of interest @Ken_Griffiths @GuitarSuperstar - when I go to audio output the default audio is ‘receiver speakers??'

I can obviously airplay (temporary audio out) to my Sonos, but that's - again, obviously - not what I want. 

Badge

@Ken_Griffiths @GuitarSuperstar got it!!! Reset the Appletv and voila - working 

Unreal 

Thank you. 

Do either/both of you have an Amazon wishlist? I'd like to express my gratitude. 

(I have a feeling it won't be the last time I call on you)

Thank you!!

No wish-list here, but thank-you. Have a great weekend just listening to your setup. GS and myself (and many others too) are almost always around & about the community here if you do need anything further - you seem to have mostly sorted things now in any case, so hopefully all will be fine, going forward.