Answered

ARC & Amp surround sound connected, but not working

• 28 November 2022
  • 13 replies

Hi All

I got a recently bought a ARC and hoping to connect with AMP to for the surround sound. I got an issue. The ceiling speakers that connect to the AMP simply don’t have sound. The sound only comes from the ARC, 

On the App, everything seems to be connected, as you can see on the screenshots. I can even play and pause the ACR through the touch button on the AMP. To me on paper everything seems to be connected, expect for the sound. 

I’ve tried the reset the AMP. and Yes, when is not grouped by surround sound, the AMP and ceiling speakers work just fine on their own.

By any chance, someone knows how to solve this problem?  Thanks a lot!! 

icon

Best answer by John B 29 November 2022, 00:48

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7

So nothing plays out of the ceiling speakers when you stream music or play TV audio? Under the Surround Audio settings, do you have Music Playback set to FULL? Have you tested a 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio source? Is the Arc or Amp wired with an ethernet cable or are they both wireless?

Hey GuitarSuperstart

Thank you so much for answering my question again!

Yes, nothing plays out of the ceiling speakers when I stream music using the Sonos App or Spotify, nor play TV audio from both PCM source or Dolby Atmos source. Both Arc and AMP are wireless connected to the WIFI.

As for the Music Playback set to FULL or not, I need to double check when I get home, but I’ve tried every setting on the Sonos App last night. 

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the Arc from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router. Also make sure that WiFi is enabled on both the Arc and Amp in the Sonos app. You can try adjusting the Surround Audio levels higher in the Sonos app too.

Just a note: I’m confused about the images shown above. In the first one, the Amp is not part of the home theater room, and wouldn’t play any surround information. In the second one, it implies that the Amp has indeed been added as surrounds. Any chance of getting a screenshot (Settings > System) showing the room name with +LS +RS + Sub in it, just to clear up any potential confusion?

It would be helpful to get a screenshot of the “now playing” screen for the “Living Room” when playing Atmos, and knowing exactly what movie you’re watching at the time of the screenshot. 

Have the ceiling speakers been successfully used with another amplifier?  Are all the wires and connections good?

Initially, the error message “There was a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on.” showed up. After, I kept trying a few more times, it worked. And after I factory reset the AMP, that error message has not shown up again.  Could it be a weak WIFI connection? But AMP work just fine on itself. 

So nothing plays out of the ceiling speakers when you stream music or play TV audio? Under the Surround Audio settings, do you have Music Playback set to FULL? Have you tested a 5.1 or Dolby Atmos audio source? Is the Arc or Amp wired with an ethernet cable or are they both wireless?

Initially, the error message “There was a problem adding your surrounds. Check the network connection and make sure your products are powered on.” showed up. After, I kept trying a few more times, it worked. And after I factory reset the AMP, that error message has not shown up again.  Could it be a weak WIFI connection? But AMP work just fine on itself. 

How close physically is the Amp to the Arc?  Is there a clear ‘line of sight’? 

Could it be a weak WIFI connection? But AMP work just fine on itself. 

When connected as surrounds, the Amp doesn’t get its data over WiFi.  It gets it via direct routing from the Arc using their 5GHz radios.

When connected as surrounds, the Amp doesn’t get its data over WiFi.  It gets it via direct routing from the Arc using their 5GHz radios.

Oh really?? Okay okay, that might be why,. So the amp is at a corner of the living room about like 8 steps from ARC. Not far, but the thing is it does not have a clear  “line of sight” It is blocked by  wooden closet door and a pc monitor on the door. I will try reposition it.

Is the Arc connected via Ethernet?  If so, make sure WiFi is turned on.  Regardless of the Ethernet connection, it still needs WiFi for connection to the surrounds.  Same with the Amp.

Oh really?? Okay okay, that might be why,. So the amp is at a corner of the living room about like 8 steps from ARC. Not far, but the thing is it does not have a clear  “line of sight” It is blocked by  wooden closet door and a pc monitor on the door. I will try reposition it.

Yes - if nothing else it will be a useful diagnostic exercise.  Please let us know how it goes.  The phrase ‘line of sight’ is a bit inaccurate.  As you clearly understand it’s sort of ‘wireless line of sight’,  However, I did lift that expression from Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

I expect the monitor would be more likely to be an issue than the door, but let’s see.

Thank you all for the help!!! 

I am really happy it is now fixed. 

It seems to be the radio connection issue between ARC and AMP. I took the AMP out of the closet. I also re positioned my WIFI router. It was positioned next to ARC and must have been interfering the connection. After repositioning, I also rebooted everything, ARC, AMP and router. Then it worked!! The surround sound is fantastic. Setting surround sound to Full and maxing everything in the App also made it much clearer that they are working. 

Thanks you all again for replying this thread!!!