X Box one X DTS to Dolby

• 7 November 2017
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
I personally CAN CONFIRM that X Box One X, set with HDMI to TV and Optical to BOSE SOLO 5 (same Dolby Digital only support as Sonos) CAN TRANSCODE DTS TO DD 5.1 in The fly.
I tried
Audio option HDMI Bitstream
Bitstream DD 5.1
Deadpool Blu ray that has only DTS OST
X Box trough HDMI to TV
TV via optical to soundbar
TV LG OLED B6V that has 5.1 passtrough
All OK.

As a counter proof I set Bitstream to DTS and resulting audio was mute.

This is X Box one X but S is The same.

Hope this can help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Good info!. I use a Samsung Blu-ray BD-F6500 and this transcodes DTS to DD 5.1 on the fly and also supplies DD 5.1 on it's Netflix app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Glad to hear this! I'll be setting up my X in about an hour when I get home! Can't wait!!
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Update. Tested also with a blu ray DTS HD MA. Same thing. Completely converted info DD 5.1 and mute if I set Bitstream to DTS.
At The same time I’ve also tested same things with PS4 PRO, that does NOT convert it. I have to set PCM to hear a DTS OST even if I set Bitstream Dolby to PS4.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Fantastic post, thanks for the info!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing, doc!

Glad to hear this! I'll be setting up my X in about an hour when I get home! Can't wait!!
Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Did I miss something haven’t all xbox ones from the OG done this?
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Did I miss something haven’t all xbox ones from the OG done this?
Virtually yes. Pratically since my personal test I haven’t found a 100% confirmation... someone say yes, someone say no. I definetely say: “YES THEY (X BOX ONEs) CAN
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've had an "OG" Xbox One and now an Xbox One X, both have had this functionality. I had heard that the Xbox One S didn't, but I've never owned one so I don't know first-hand.
Userlevel 1
and how awful are the lip sync issues you experience with this set up and xbox one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've not noticed any lip sync issues... though I think my TV has a delay setting to allow minimizing any lip sync issues, and maybe that has something to do with it (though I don't remember setting it; maybe it set it when I selected that I'm using the optical output?).

But I've not had any issues with gaming either, and I know that if my TV were delayed too much, that would be a major issue (I would be responding to something I see, but I'm seeing it x milliseconds after the console actually sent that frame of video; and then I don't see the result of my action for that same x milliseconds, so I make a correction too late, etc. etc.)

And I also do plenty of streaming from my Xbox. While I have a Smart TV, I actually have it connected to a separate network than most of my other stuff. I don't necessarily trust Samsung's device security, which is why. So I stream stuff from my Plex server through my Xbox instead of using the TV's built-in Plex app. I also use the Sling TV app on my Xbox, since Sling doesn't have an app for Samsung TVs yet.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Just to close The loop. Yesterday I purchased The playbar and connected same way. Xbox One X via HDMI to LG OLED B6V and optical from TV to playbar. Deadpool bluray with DTS soundtrack only.
Xbox audio set as Bitstream Dolby and TV set as DOLBY output also. Into “my Sonos” it says DD 5.1. Perfect!!! It sounds awesome!!! Welcome to me to The Sonos world
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hello, All... I'm contemplating buying an Xbox One S but, I'm first trying to solve my audio issue that appears to be an issue with others as well. I have a Samsung 6350 TV and a Samsung BD-F7500 BluRay player. When I try to remove my Optical Switcher (want to make life easier for my wife when she listens to audio CDs), and plug optical from TV into Playbar, I get no sound from my BluRay player whether it's a DVD or CD. In reading this, I'm assuming that I need to set my BluRay player audio output to something other than it's set to now. In looking online at the BD-F7500 spec sheet, it supposedly can decipher/decode ALL things Dolby and DTS. I'd like to use the standard TV to Playbar connection and not plug the optical into any other device - including that darn Optical Switcher - to get the simplest setup. That's why I went wireless in the first place really. Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I believe most Samsung Blu-Ray players offer the option to send all audio out as Bitstream (re-encoded Dolby Digital). It should be under the Audio Settings... but once you set that, as long as your TV will pass the audio through without converting it (some Samsung TVs, mostly models older than the past couple of years, often only send stereo PCM audio), you should be good to go.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Thanks much, Mike. I looked in the online manual and, yes, I have the Bitstream Re-encoded to DTS and Bitstream Re-encoded to Dolby options. I appreciate the quick response. I'll give that a try this evening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Dolby is what you want to select. Sonos doesn't support DTS. Check your TV's sound settings as well... that will likely be under the "Expert settings" on the TV.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I'll do just that. I think my TV had Dolby grayed out. It could only have PCM but there could be Dolby sub menus under the Bitstream option. I'll check it out again soon. Thanks again, Mike.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You may not be able to select Dolby Digital on your TV until it's receiving a Dolby signal... I seem to remember that about Samsung's audio setting. Most TV channels use DD, and your Blu-Ray player will also be sending DD once you change that setting.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Great bit of advice, Mike. I'll make the switch on my BluRay first and then stumble forward from there. Thank you!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Just thought I'd update. I tried the arrangement as suggested but, it didn't work. I did pull the optical cable from the back of the BluRay. Instead, I powered off the switcher and moved the optical cables to only pass from TV to Playbar. I powered it all off and then on again to make sure the system was aware of the new configuration. My thought is that just having that optical cable remaining plugged into the BluRay may have thrown the whole process off. I don't know. I still only had PCM and DTS Neo 2.5 available to select in my TV menu. Dolby was grayed out. Apparently my Diagnostic test to SONOS didn't shed any clues or concerns. Any thoughts?
Unless you indicated the number of that diagnostic to Sonos in some other fashion (phone call, Twitter, posting it here in the forum), it's unlikely to be looked at. You need to "prompt" them with a suggestion of what they're looking for.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Airgetlam... Thanks for the post. They'd asked me to submit the Diagnostics so, I ran it and submitted the number to them. I highly doubt is will show anything out of the ordinary. I pulled all the optical cabling and powered it off. Still no good result. I'm feeling it's my Samsung TV not playing well with others.
Ah, good. Was afraid you'd run the diagnostic, and were just waiting for Sonos to get back to you. I don't think they tend to do that very often. Good luck with the Samsung.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The more I think about it, the more I think the SONOS connection is causing the issues - at least with my particular TV. I bet if I pulled that Optical cable out of the TV, the Dolby Digital option wouldn't be grayed out.
Optical doesn't work that way. It won't make any difference whether something is plugged in to the optical port or not. Optical is a one way transmission. There's no data at all that goes "upstream" into the TV. Not even a "an item is connected" message.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
That makes it even more perplexing. I have a TIVO cable box plugged in via HDMI #1 and that sound comes out of the Playbar without a hitch. Shouldn't be an issue to just plug my Samsung BluRay into my Samsung TV via HDMI and get sound "without" an optical switcher.