Question

Will Sonos do a Dolby Atmos equivalent

• 4 November 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
This appears to be a firmware upgrade job to other marques. Can Sonos do that too?

http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-atmos-what-it-how-can-you-get-it

Onkyo has released two AV receivers: the TX-N1010 and TX-N3030, a network AV controller, two home cinema in a box packages, and two speaker packages. Along with the new products, Onkyo has announced a firmware update for the TX-NR636, TX-NR737 and TX-NR838 AV receivers. The update means that owners won't need to buy a new AV receiver to benefit from Atmos (just the extra speakers).

And you won't have to have in-ceiling speakers. Dolby’s hardware partners will also produce side speakers that aim to do a similar job.

Watch the video.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-atmos-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#H8X237ssDpp1QHw1.99

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm not sure about an actual Atmos speaker. I would say it would be really cool.

I have said all along there is a big market for a fully wireless surround system (not a playbar but full wireless). Especially with the number of projectors where all the equipment is behind the viewer.

I still say they need to make a SUPER CONNECT where the SUPER CONNECT has a digital input / hdmi pass thru as well and all the surround processing. Hook a SUPER CONNECT to your video system. Then serve it out to up to 7.1 speakers. Put out an Atmos speaker in the mix you have one heck of a surround solution.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I'm not sure about an actual Atmos speaker. I would say it would be really cool.

I have said all along there is a big market for a fully wireless surround system (not a playbar but full wireless). Especially with the number of projectors where all the equipment is behind the viewer.

I still say they need to make a SUPER CONNECT where the SUPER CONNECT has a digital input / hdmi pass thru as well and all the surround processing. Hook a SUPER CONNECT to your video system. Then serve it out to up to 7.1 speakers. Put out an Atmos speaker in the mix you have one heck of a surround solution.

Love the Super Connect idea. If anyone from Sonos is reading then pretty pretty pretty please with sugar on top!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We'll definitely pass along the suggestion for you. I can't comment specifically around Dolby Atmos for the future, but I'll let the team know there's interest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Dang it I saw Ryan responded .... I thought he was going to confirm it all 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oh ... and I think Sonos should send me a free SUPER CONNECT for trying to drum up interest in it!