Question

Wifi Television Source

• 14 January 2018
  • 7 replies

I just got a new Samsung wifi-enabled television and am plugging it into an existing system where a Sony Bravia TV was previously used.

I take it that despite it's connection to my wifi network, I cannot use the new TV as a wireless source for my Sonos system unless it is physically plugged in via a line-in connection to one of my Sonos components. Can someone confirm that is correct? And if so, why is that the case? It seems like I should be able to use any wifi-enabled device as a wireless source, but what is the technical or business issue why this is not the case? TIA.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Does your TV have wireless audio out capability? Mine doesn't.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
If the TV exposes its audio as a DLNA endpoint over UPnP then Sonos can treat it as a media server. If not then no. WiFi is merely a network transport, without a protocol to transport it isnt going to offer any features.

Your expectations seem somewhat unrealistic. The TV plugs into the wall for electricity, but that doesn't imply its audio will make it to your Sonos system even though that is also plugged into the wall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Did you do any research into how the Sonos system works? It is primarily an audio playback system, initially playing music from wifi storage, such as nas drives or a drive in a connected pc or Mac, providing that device was on. Later online music services were added and then the playbar which has a physical connection to take sounds from the TV and make them available on the Sonos system. Sonos uses wifi as a transport mechanism as it is superior to Bluetooth, but that does not mean it will play soundcloud.com from any device just because it's attached to you local wifi.
Thanks for the replies, guys. The TV supports wifi speakers, but only those connected to the soundbar; I get it now, but have just been frustrated to find a workaround for a problem with my setup. Since there are knowledgeable and creative minds here, let me describe the underlying problem to you. It may be a bit far afield for this forum, but if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.

My current setup has an audio connection out from my television to a Connect:Amp to which I have a couple bookshelf speakers attached. The problem is that the genius team at Samsung does not make that audio out line a variable output, hence, I now have no way to control the volume on my speakers! The old Sony TV had this functionality, so it was simple. I can of course log in to Sonos and control volume from the Sonos app, but really would prefer the convenience of just using my standard TV remote. Any ideas on workarounds? I was hopeful that the wifi speaker connection on the TV is a variable output, and it may, but it looks of course like that will require the purchase of a sound bar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I see. To be honest the best solution is to get a Playbar or Playbase, that's the product Sonos made for this scenario. I have the Playbase and have been very pleased with it.

Other option would be a dedicated Sonos type remote that you set up for the TV volume. Something like the Senic Nuimo, but that works out expensive unless you use it for other things too. Alexa can also control TV volume and then there is the option of a Harmony remote.

Does the TV have a headphone socket you could use instead of Line out.
I can't see how alternative 'traditional' remotes could help here. All they could do would be to imitate the TV's own remote. The smart home suggestions might well work (but not something I know much about so I will defer to @bockersjv on that)

You could get an Amazon Fire Tablet for $50 and just keep that as a dedicated Sonos controller for your TV sound! At least it would be always set to Sonos and to the right 'room'.

Which audio out are you using and are there any other options where the audio out is variable? For example, if you are using analog out currently, would it solve the problem if you used the digital optical out and a DAC / audio extractor? (I doubt it, to be honest, but it's worth kicking ideas around.)

I suspect @bockersjv's suggestion of using the headphone socket will work. Not sure how sound quality will compare but it seems a sensible suggestion.

In the end @bockersjv is correct when he says that the Playbar and Playbase are specifically designed and intended for use with a TV and other Sonos components aren't.
Thanks again, guys.

Samsung is really limiting on their new televisions with this. For example, there's no headphone plug, and the only audio out is the optical connection, which I'm using. Unfortunately I did not get around to connecting my speakers until my return date passed, so I'm stuck.

I'll probably get a Playbar as you've suggested. Thanks for noodling on it with me.