Question

why not allow 2 one SLs or ceiling speakers as rear height channels for ARC?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi Sonos,

it’s great that you launched the ARC but why limit that with just front height channels? Why can’t you allow us to add rear height channels using ceiling or ONE SLs speakers? It would blow everything else out of the water...plus it will give us true Atmos experience with physical speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Could probably be done with a little software tweak. Would add another level of functionality to an already versatile system, would be totally unique in the saturated soundbar sector and would give a boost to the sales of AMP.

Come on Sonos, there isn’t any downside to this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I expect this would not just mean “a little software tweak”. More channels mean more processing and, since bonded Sonos speakers are using a designated 5Ghz connection, a heavier strain on this connection. Now idea if this is a viable option for Sonos.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Then maybe someone from Sonos who does know if it is viable will answer that question for you.

Where there’s a will there’s a way.

Third party speakers aren’t able to join the 5GHz connection @106rallye is referring to. Honestly, if I were you I’d pray that your wireless Atmos experience isn’t going to give you true experience in enduring dropouts and cutouts caused by bitrates from 6.000 kpbs rating up to 18.000 kpbs.

Third party speakers aren’t able to join the 5GHz connection @106rallye is referring to. Honestly, if I were you I’d pray that your wireless Atmos experience isn’t going to give you true experience in enduring dropouts and cutouts caused by bitrates from 6.000 kpbs rating up to 18.000 kpbs.

While at the same time, a significant portion of the market will be wirelessly streaming 4K video to their TV or streaming device.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

There is some confusion going on here.

What is being proposed is that either an additional pair of one SLs mounted up high or an Amp driving wired in ceiling speakers could be fed the height channels, instead of using the upward firing spekers on the arc.

There is some confusion going on here.

What is being proposed is that either an additional pair of one SLs mounted up high or an Amp driving wired in ceiling speakers could be fed the height channels, instead of using the upward firing spekers on the arc.

No confusion, we understand the proposal.  We are pointing out the fact that two wireless height channels would entail more wireless bandwidth, whereas the up-firing speakers in the Arc require no extra bandwidth. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don’t think bandwidth would be an issue it’s just the software that needs a bit of work. 

I do have to wonder, if it was as easy as ‘a little software tweak‘ that Sonos would have long ago provided a method by which we could use three Sonos speakers as front right, center, and left in a standard Dolby Digital set up. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I do have to wonder, if it was as easy as ‘a little software tweak‘ that Sonos would have long ago provided a method by which we could use three Sonos speakers as front right, center, and left in a standard Dolby Digital set up. 

You need an HDMI connection to receive that 5.1 or 7.1 info and then process it. If the bandwidth was an issue then how is it possible to add multiple speakers in a group and play them all together at the same time? Speakers in the whole house? Maybe 5 or even 10 pairs of speakers?

Sure. Wouldn’t that be ‘a little software tweak’ to the Sonos Amp, which already has an HDMI ARC port?

Is there a bandwidth difference between a music stream, and a Dolby Digital or Atmos stream? Certainly the normal Sonos network is on a 2.4Ghz channel, and the bonded speakers are on a 5Ghz channel. 

Oh, and I do recognize that you didn’t use the term ‘a little software tweak’.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sure. Wouldn’t that be ‘a little software tweak’ to the Sonos Amp, which already has an HDMI ARC port?

Is there a bandwidth difference between a music stream, and a Dolby Digital or Atmos stream? Certainly the normal Sonos network is on a 2.4Ghz channel, and the bonded speakers are on a 5Ghz channel. 

Eve if atmos uses 10 mbps that’s still nothing as compared to current WiFi capabilities 😀

I don’t know the real answer, so everything I say here is pure speculation. 

Sonos makes money out of selling hardware, plain and simple. If there was a way for them to easily create a situation that they could sell more hardware, don’t you think they would take it? 

I’d love it if your concept would come to pass. But I have to think there is some technical reason as to why they haven’t done something along these lines already, in their search for better profits. But I doubt that they would be likely to spill the beans here, where their competitors could gain insight on the way the company is thinking. It’s one of the reasons I think they don’t publish a roadmap for either hardware or software, trying to keep their competitive edge. 

And who knows, maybe technology is increasing fast enough that within X amount of time, they’ll release something like we want. I’m just not holding my breath. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I see a lot of ideas, questions, and comments on why Sonos is not supporting various solutions with more speakers. Why not give us the possibility to add separated fronts and a center speaker? Why can’t I have 7.1 or 7.1.2? Can I add four in-ceilings for a more complete Atmos-experience?

I myself have thought of various ways to achieve some of these scenarios.

But I think the conclusion here is actually very simple. The Sonos lineup of standalone speakers is a simple one. It is the very reason that so many enjoy it: it is not complex but simple. A great solution for the more casual user. 

You hook up the speaker to the TV with one single cable and everything else to the tv. The Sonos soundbars all the way back to the Playbar just work with the TV as a build-in speaker really. Turns on with the tv, turns up and down the tv remote etc. 

If you start to care about how you can optimize Atmos with more speakers, or you actually believe you can tell the difference between Atmos over Dolby Plus rather than the full bandwidth over eArc - and believe it matters to you - Sonos already knows that their soundbars aren’t the right choice for you.

That’s the very reason why they have the Port in their lineup and why they made an effort to collaborate with manufacturers of highend receivers in the Works with Sonos program. To provide a possibility for tho enthuwho really care about these things to make an effort in putting together a high end system for their living room and then incorporate that in the Sonos ecosystem together with their more casual listening areas in the kitchen, bathroom etc. where Sonos’ standalone speakers will work perfectly. 

I have an alternative suggestion. Why not allow the customer to pair a second Arc and use it in lieu of the rears (One SLs e.g.)? Seems that would give you quite a few channels, solve the rear heights and make the surround channels more robust? 

Probably for the same reason they’ve never done a system with three separate speakers as front right, center, and left.  i.e. we don’t know, and I don’t think they’re willing to give away secrets two potential competitors.