Question

Which TV to get the best out of my Sonos?

• 10 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to this and have researched everything I could before having to bother you guys with questions which may have a simple answer!

Okay, so I'm just about to purchase the Playbar and 2 x Play 3s. I'm hoping to have them set up (majority of the time) to a TV as a 5.0 surround sound type set up. But then I'm after the flexibilty of moving the Play 3s (one to the kitchen and one to the dining room, leaving the Playbar in the front room) for small parties I have round the house, basically filling the downstairs with music.

I'm 100% set on buying the Sonos gear, I'm just really struggling to choose a TV. I'm torn between the Samsung QE55Q7F and the LG 55B7. I seem to get lost in all the technical jargan when researching their audio outputs. ?

It took me a while to the wife on board with this ?, so any help regarding a TV which connects very easily to Sonos but uses it to its full potential would be grearly received.

Thanks in advance ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Badge +1
All the TV's will work the same with your Sonos so long as they have an optical connection! And the Samsung Q7F and LG B7 have optical! The Sonos receives the digital mumbo jumbo from your TV and sorts it all out to each player. If anything you're dependent on the source of your audio not the TV. :)

EDIT: Also, those two TV's are very nice! I would personally recommend the B7 because I truly feel OLED is ahead of QLED. QLED is actually a fancy marketing gimmick for a slightly upgraded LCD display using different liquid crystals which respond to ultra-violet not a white backlight. And because we can't see most of the wavelengths of UV, that means less backlight bleed on QLEDs. OLEDs have zero backlight bleed and offer superior contrasts and deeper blacks. :)

You're going to get a brilliant experience with either TVs and Sonos! Enjoy it!
A question for TVs of the day experts; Aren't there TVs that separate themselves from the pack by also offering sound that is good enough on its own for movies? Not good as in HT good, but a class above the mediocre median?

If so, getting one of those and buying Sonos kit for just music needs is a better idea, IMO. Because for just music play, play units do a better job than the jack of all trades label seeking play bar/base.
Thanks for your replies, I was swaying towards the B7 ?

I was just concerned about TV audio output, maybe I was reading old articles about DTS, Dolby Digital Plus etc aren't supported with Sonos. Also something about remote controls not syncing.

I'm just trying to mitigate the wife's "I knew it'd be a waste of money!" ?

Thanks again, really appreciate it.
Userlevel 1
i have just recently went through the similar issue, and ended up with OLED C7P. it came down to couple simple points: 1.Dolby Vision support (only LG OLED), 2.ATMOS (for future when sonos finally will release something that supports it), 3. OLED has almost 180 degree picture viewing angle .... I can stand totally on the side of the tv and still see whole picture without picture and color distortion. Ohh and by the way check new holiday prices on OLED ... just went down 🙂
Also B7A does not support ATMOS... i think B7B supports it.... read specs carefully.
That's some sound advice, thank you very much mate.
I had no idea! Doing research now, it looks like the one I'm looking at is a B7V, can't seem to find a B7B but now I've been looking (after your advice) I've noticed a B7A, B7P and B7V.....
So, ideally I need dolby vision and ATMOS?
Userlevel 1
If you want your TV to be somewhat future proof ... like 6-7 years, you probably will want Dolby Vision (it supposedly have better color gradience). The Atmos - well it’s all depends on sonos if they will finally support the format it will be awesome. However I do think that Atmos is next big thing in home sound.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Although I'm a huge Sonos fan and I use it for audio throughout my home, there is one major exception - my Movies set-up. Sonos, as a company, doesn't really target pure Home Cinema and the best audio output would come via an AV receiver and a set of Surround (5.1, 7.1 or 9.1) speakers, however, and as my wife points out regularly, this does lead to a lot of tech kit in the lounge!

To cut a long story short, the main factor for your choice of TV audio is the source format: No streaming source delivers much above DD5.1, even if the marketing material says it does. Sky also is DD 5.1 at best and so unless you are playing off physical disks (DVD or BD), the TV won't much influence the quality of the Audio. From a TV perspective, I would focus upon the Video display performance and let your source material drive your Audio choice.
Badge
docholiday1982,

As UKMedia stated, the main thing you need to worry about is source format with the Sonos 5.1 home theater setup. The source format will determine if you get Dolby Digital sound or Stereo sound through your speakers. As for your TV choices your good with either, I am currently waiting on my 65B7A OLED to be delivered in a few days and cant wait! believe me when I say I've researched everything you probably have to make sure these speakers will work with our TV choice. But like I said earlier the TV will pass Dolby Digital via optical so your good there, because lots of old TV's don't. Now receiving DD is another big issue with Sonos speakers, it depends on all your outside sources via ( Internal & External Apps, Blu-ray Players, Xbox's, Playstation's, Streaming Devices such as Apple TV 4K, Roku's, Fire sticks, Nvidia shields, Chromecast Ultra). So in order for our speakers to play True DD 5.1 sound depends on whatever devices or apps we choose to use, and they must supply DD directly or be able to convert it to DD on the fly to work with our speakers. So please excuse my language, but that's a lot of shit that can Mess up our sound! It all depends on what you choose and or already use. My current setup is the Playbar with Sub in TV room, Play 1 in bathroom & Play 3 in garage. I'm Probably going to purchase another Play 1 for a 5.1 setup :)

"Current Issues"

1: Had to move my current Blu-ray player into another bedroom because it doesn't convert other formats to DD on the fly.
Solution: Replaced with my Xbox One S for Blu-ray movies which does convert on the fly.

2: Adjust setting internally on my Xbox one S
Solution: HDMI audio output to be "Bitstream", then select "Dolby Digital" as the Bitstream format.

3: I don't currently have a streaming device, but I'm in the market and not sure what works best with sonos and OLED.

" Issues We Might Run Into "

1. Problem with remote setup for sonos

2. Problem Receiving true Dolby Digital sound rather then Stereo sound all my devices

3. Possible Lip Sync issues

4. Volume Control Sensitivity