Question

What is the maximum length of Digital Audio Cable with Playbar.

• 27 December 2016
  • 4 replies

What is the maximum length of Digital Audio Cable that can be used with Sonos Playbar? The 5ft. cable that comes with the Sonos Playbar is not long enough for my setup, I run the cables behind my cabinet and behind the wall and up to the TV. It will need approximately 10 - 12 ft. run. And is there a Digital Audio Cable you that is compatible / or you would recommend?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The technical limit of the specification is 10 meters. I would think that finding a 10-15 foot cable wouldn't be too hard. Amazon seemed to have both 10 and 12 foot cables easily available, at least here in the US.
I purchased a 15ft. cable and no sound. I wonder if there is a specific length cable that the Sonos Playbar will work with. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I purchased a 15ft. cable and no sound. I wonder if there is a specific length cable that the Sonos Playbar will work with. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Have you confirmed it is the cable that is the reason? If you can confirm that a shorter cable works I'd return that cable and purchase a different one.
I'd look at the specs on TOSLink, which is the optical connection's specs. Whatever they specify would be likely the accurate maximum length, since both Sonos and the TV manufacturers are building to support that spec.

It probably boils down to "transparency" of the actual cable. If you had 100% transparency, then it would be infinite, since light wouldn't be impeded in any way. But to my knowledge, we don't have 100% transparent cables. But I could easily see it working at longer distances than 5 feet without much issue. At the end of the day, it's just a digital signal, carried by light.