What is the effect of converting the digital audio output from my TV to optical for connection to a Sonos Playbar?

• 1 January 2014
  • 5 replies

My TV only has a digital audio output - if I use a converter to connect my TV to the Playbar, will there be any negative impact on what I get out of the Playbar? My TV Is a Mitsubishi DLP Model WD 65638.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Hello Tony,

While we do not actively support the solution of using a converter, technically there is no reason why this should not work. If you use the correct converter (Coaxial IN, Toslink OUT),
there will not be any noticeable delay, and the PLAYBAR will work just fine.

Kind regards,

Bjorn L.
Hi Bjorn and SONOS. Further to this post, I know you cannot support the use of a converter, but can you (unofficially and secretly) recommend a particular that you may have had some feedback on that appears to work well with your equipment?
Thanks.
I've just received my lovely new Playbar and am devastated to find that my TV doesn't have digital audio 😞
Hi Bjorn and SONOS. Further to this post, I know you cannot support the use of a converter, but can you (unofficially and secretly) recommend a particular that you may have had some feedback on that appears to work well with your equipment?
Thanks.
I've just received my lovely new Playbar and am devastated to find that my TV doesn't have digital audio :(

Furthermore, my TV also appears to not even have Coaxial. Will my PlayBar work if I run it through Coaxial on my Bluray player (HDMI to TV)?Thanks
I have a SHARP Aquos - nice 1080p but about 2007 model. The tv worked with Sonos Soundbar but none of the aux did - Roku or Xbox etc. After reading all the blogs and posts, I ordered this analog to digital converter from Amazon and IT WORKS! I get sound from everything now.
Good luck to everyone struggling with the Soundbar.
Etekcity® Analog to Digital Audio Converter - Convert RCA L/R Audio to Optical S/PDIF Toslink & Digital Coaxial great for Stereo, TV, Sound System, Receiver, DVD Player, Soundbar, etc